Should I retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zarina1992A

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
QR:19
BIO:18
RC:17
GC:19
OC:17
PAT:19

AA: 18
Science GPA: 3.11
English is my third language.
I took the DAT on 07/24/16, I can only retake it after 3 months (which will be October), but I also will know if anyone will call me to interviews before I take the DAT, since interviews are sent out in September.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely a lot of variables to consider aside from only DAT scores and GPA. I would give it a shot at applying, only after doing further research on the schools you're applying to. Some schools have specific criteria that must be met, or simply by looking at their data from previous entering classes you could paint a picture of where you stand and what kind of a shot you have with your scores. From there you could make a better educated decision on moving forward with the application.

If you do apply but decide to retake the DAT, as you said after the 3 month period passes, you would know what schools are interested in giving you an interview with your current stats. Another thing to consider is that if you were to retake the DAT, schools will see that you're retaking the test thus some schools may be inclined to accept you under the condition of getting higher tests scores.

Best of luck

Yep, the low science GPA means you need to get a higher than average DAT to get interviews unless you have amazing ECs. I'd highly suggest studying hard and slaying the next retake!

Members don't see this ad :)
QR:19
BIO:18
RC:17
GC:19
OC:17
PAT:19

AA: 18
Science GPA: 3.11
English is my third language.
I took the DAT on 07/24/16, I can only retake it after 3 months (which will be October), but I also will know if anyone will call me to interviews before I take the DAT, since interviews are sent out in September.
A lot depends on the school you are applying to. Your scores are average so to balance that out you should have scores a little above average. You might get interviews however, a lot depends on where you applied and your complete package. Hard for someone on SDN to answer that question. It would be best to contact the schools or even talk to someone in your predental club.

Wishing you the best..Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
I'd probably retake if I were you. Your grades are under average and so is your DAT(for acceptance) :(. Truth hurts. Ik my GPA is under average and I'm really trying to compensate with DAT. Speaking of which I'm taking it tomorrow. The nerves are real lol.

I'd probably retake if I were you. Your grades are under average and so is your DAT(for acceptance) :(. Truth hurts. Ik my GPA is under average and I'm really trying to compensate with DAT. Speaking of which I'm taking it tomorrow. The nerves are real lol.
how did you do?