Should I retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnySahi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am stuck trying to figure out if I should retake the dat and if it is worth taking again. Ive already taken it twice and got the same AA :/
my first attempt I got 18 AA/ 17 TS/ 18 BIO/18 GC/14 OC/ 20 PAT/ 21 RC/ 17 QR
my second attempt 18 AA/ 18 TS/ 18 BIO/ 18 GC/ 18 OC/ 20 PAT/ 19 RC/ 16 QR
My sGPA is a 3.5 and my oGPA is a 3.3. I have been working as a dental assistant full time for the last year since graduation. I believe almost half of the schools I'm applying for will allow me to retake it in august and accept my score but I am afraid of getting the same AA again :( Im just about ready to apply but don't know if I should wait it out for a retake and then apply

Members don't see this ad.

You could apply to schools that accept lower stats and simultaneously study, retake the DAT, and send the new scores when you take it again in august. Or you might consider taking the extra year to study, considering this would be your 3rd time taking it and it would likely raise red flags on applications if you had to take it a fourth time! During studying, spend the extra $ to go through DAT destroyer (For chem/bio, old copy is fine), chad’s videos (for chemistry review), and barron’s AP biology. Look up strategies for RC, such as search and destroy. This will bring up your AA/TS. On a recent post, I posted my own personal strategy for RC. I also like DAT crack for PAT and RC, since it wasn’t too intense and gave me a sense for tackling the sections. I liked bootcamp as a final study tool, since the tests are extremely difficult and hit all subjects. I found that the order of importance in the eyes of schools for the different scores is AA>TS>RC>PAT>QR, so if you have limited time, focus your study in this way. No pain, no gain!

Reactions: 1 users
I am stuck trying to figure out if I should retake the dat and if it is worth taking again. Ive already taken it twice and got the same AA :/
my first attempt I got 18 AA/ 17 TS/ 18 BIO/18 GC/14 OC/ 20 PAT/ 21 RC/ 17 QR
my second attempt 18 AA/ 18 TS/ 18 BIO/ 18 GC/ 18 OC/ 20 PAT/ 19 RC/ 16 QR
My sGPA is a 3.5 and my oGPA is a 3.3. I have been working as a dental assistant full time for the last year since graduation. I believe almost half of the schools I'm applying for will allow me to retake it in august and accept my score but I am afraid of getting the same AA again :( Im just about ready to apply but don't know if I should wait it out for a retake and then apply
How did you prepare the last time? If you think you can push yourself to do better, I would recommend retaking it.

I was in the same boat as you and had to make multiple changes to get a higher score on my last attempt. This is what I did: