Awara No. 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
I took my DAT few months back and got 21AA/22TS/15PAT(ouch)(19 BIO, GC 23, OC 25, RC 17, QR 21, PAT 15). Now my GPA is not that good. Science 3.2, Non Science 3.0 and overall 3.14. I have first two years from community college and all my pre-requisites are from community college. I have taken upper level Micro, Anatomy, Physiology, Biochem and 3xx level Inorganic chemistry class and combined GPA of all these classes at university is 3.65. I am getting ready to apply for 2006 cycle. First I thought my scores were good enough and was happy about it but now I am having second thoughts on my scores as application time comes nearby. I am worried that some GPA frogiving schools won't give me chance because of my 15 in PAT eventhough my little higher scores in other sections. also I have lots of EC's and great LOR's and volunteer experience. Do you guys think is worth taking(risking OC,GC scores) the DAT again to improve two or more points in PAT. Thank you all for your input.

DDS2BE

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
www.facebook.com
Status
Dentist
don't touch that DAT! Your stats are great :thumbup:
What schools do you have in mind to apply into?

OP
A

Awara No. 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
DDS2BE said:
don't touch that DAT! Your stats are great :thumbup:
What schools do you have in mind to apply into?
I don't care where I go to school as long as I go somewhere. I am going to apply to about 15 schools including BU, tufts, templ, IU, NOVA, UNLV,USC, Detroit Mercy,Pitt,CWRU, Michigan(resident).

2pac

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2005
in Guru's House
Status
Awara No. 1 said:
I took my DAT few months back and got 21AA/22TS/15PAT(ouch)(19 BIO, GC 23, OC 25, RC 17, QR 21, PAT 15). Now my GPA is not that good. Science 3.2, Non Science 3.0 and overall 3.14. I have first two years from community college and all my pre-requisites are from community college. I have taken upper level Micro, Anatomy, Physiology, Biochem and 3xx level Inorganic chemistry class and combined GPA of all these classes at university is 3.65. I am getting ready to apply for 2006 cycle. First I thought my scores were good enough and was happy about it but now I am having second thoughts on my scores as application time comes nearby. I am worried that some GPA frogiving schools won't give me chance because of my 15 in PAT eventhough my little higher scores in other sections. also I have lots of EC's and great LOR's and volunteer experience. Do you guys think is worth taking(risking OC,GC scores) the DAT again to improve two or more points in PAT. Thank you all for your input.

I agree donot even think about taking DAT over, Trust me its real pain in the but and u have done Superb!

DDS2BE

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
www.facebook.com
Status
Dentist
Awara No. 1 said:
I don't care where I go to school as long as I go somewhere. I am going to apply to about 15 schools including BU, tufts, templ, IU, NOVA, UNLV,USC, Detroit Mercy,Pitt,CWRU, Michigan(resident).

Then you are all set :D and can already call yourself class of 2010! Apply early, send them a fee and wait for those interview invitations. Now, search SDN on how to rock those interviews.

wimmcs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Status
My DAT scores are below yours and I also have a 15 on my PAT. I also completed all my pre-reqs from a community college and have all the upper division classes you mentioned excluding anatomy and inorganic chem, but I took cell bio instead. My GPA is above yours and I was accepted to 4 awesome schools. Initially I applied to 10 schools, and only sent secondaries to a select few. I was granted 5 interviews and 4 acceptances. I bet that you will get in no doubt with your DAT scores.. in fact, I'm sure by this time next year you will think... "maybe I didn't need to apply to 15 schools overall". Only time will tell. My advice: APPLY AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE and do very well in this semester's classes.

DB#1

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Burlington, ONTARIO
Status
If you apply early May-June, don't take it again. But for later you might have to. On another note, some schools have cutoffs (and they rais the bar every year). I think, but I am not 100% sure that some schools want to see 18 RC and 16 PAT.

So, if you have have the time and the money do it again and you will be set. Sciences will be the same, so you will get your 20's there again, but higher RC and PAT scores will help you get into a less expensive school of your choice.

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Status
Dental Student
Awesome gen chem score, any advice on how to rock that section?

Biogirl361

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
yeah don't retake it, i know of people with stats similar to yours who got into the michigan schools if those are your first choice.

Mustt Mustt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Great Lakes State
Status
dexadental said:
Just know kaplan and you will be set to do well in that part. All I studied was kaplan blue book and TS cd for two weeks. I didn't take kaplan classes or anything but I remembered a lot from my pre-requisites. There was not one question in OC or GC that wasn't covered in Kaplan. I didn't study for QR becasue I have been good at math. I studied most for the PAT and got the lowest score in that section. My advice to you is study more than two weeks. Two weeks is a very short time for this important test. I now realize that. Also more time with PAt will probably get you higher score.

OP
A

Awara No. 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
dexadental said:
mustt mustt is right. Study Kaplan blue book and Top Score. I studied only that total for 3 weeks with this material only. I reviwed some biology notes from my classes. I studied most for the PAT but got lowest score in that section and studied least for OC and got the higest score on that. I guess some people don't have natural ability with 3D stuff. I suggest for GC and OC don't do anything other than Kaplan becasue that is all you need to know but for other sections use your judgement.

by the what are your scores mustt mustt!!!

thanks Biogirl for your input. I want to eventually practice in Michigan so I would love to go to school in MI but If I don't get here I am willing to go anywhere.

Mustt Mustt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Great Lakes State
Status
Awara No. 1 said:
by the what are your scores mustt mustt!!!

I have scores very similar to yous, 22AA/22TS/15PAT but in all sections I have above 20 except PAT. My OC and GC are lower than yours but BIO is higher.

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
Awara No. 1 said:
I tell you what. RETAKE DAT. You are 23 now and I'm pretty sure you WANT to get accepted to a good school. If so, you want to maximize your chance. I only tell you this because you still have quite a while before application starts. If you put out this thread in September then I would tell you no relax. I have 22, 22, 20 and a 3.7 GPA but I'm not accpeted yet to half the schools I applied. I see you have classes from community college and your GPA isn't that strong, so the adcoms will question you. Take my advice and raise your GPA to 23. This way you are almost sure to get accepted to UOP kind of school. Isn't that nice? Almost no worry on acceptance.

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
Awara No. 1 said:
Forget it. I didn't see this. Just keep you score. You will get in somewhere. Also, take out IU and add NYU, Howard to your list.

OP
A

Awara No. 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Profchaos said:
Forget it. I didn't see this. Just keep you score. You will get in somewhere. Also, take out IU and add NYU, Howard to your list.
thanks for your eply, I will add NYU to the list. I also thought that Indiana University takes about 30 out of states students so I thought I might have a chance there. For Howard I thought they were primarily geared toward an African American applicants. Does anyone here know if they accept students other than African American. I am kind of minority in a way of coming from disadvantaged background but I am Asian and I don't think schools think of us as minority at all. Any thoughts about adding another schools!!!

dental2008

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
Philly
Visit site
Status
Awara No. 1 said:
thanks for your eply, I will add NYU to the list. I also thought that Indiana University takes about 30 out of states students so I thought I might have a chance there. For Howard I thought they were primarily geared toward an African American applicants. Does anyone here know if they accept students other than African American. I am kind of minority in a way of coming from disadvantaged background but I am Asian and I don't think schools think of us as minority at all. Any thoughts about adding another schools!!!
Asian = NYU acceptance

My brother told me 46% of his class is asian