Should I retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalChoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 3.4 cum gpa and a 3.5 science gpa. I took the DAT once and got

pat:21
bio: 18
ochem: 20
chem: 19
qr: 16
rc: 17

I'm wondering if I should take the DAT again. I'm not sure I can do that well on the pat again. Please give me some advice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Solid! 3.5 and 19ish DAT is an accomplishment!

Nationwide, that's pretty much average for accepted students.

So if you are sufficient in the other areas (ECs, LoRs, PS), you should be invited to some interviews.

My advice: Concentrate on GPA/shadowing/ECs from here on out!

Hi all,

I have a 3.4 cum gpa and a 3.5 science gpa. I took the DAT once and got

pat:21
bio: 18
ochem: 20
chem: 19
qr: 16
rc: 17

I'm wondering if I should take the DAT again. I'm not sure I can do that well on the pat again. Please give me some advice. Thanks!

Where do you want to go to school and what are your state schools?

I'd like to stay in California, but if I had to , I'd pretty much go anywhere. Which schools do you think my scores are good enough to get into? Or what areas should I improve on? I'm also shadowing at a dental center and volunteering at a free dental clinic on the weekends.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the only school that would look at your app with those stats would be USC.

If you really want to get in somewhere and even get into a CA school, i recommend a retake. Dental school is insanely competitive nowadays.

Like samdds and UNR.grad said, Californian state schools are crazy competitive. If you decide not to retake then I suggest to apply to the private schools and state schools that accept a large amount of out of state.

Thanks for the info everyone! It is greatly appreciated. I'll probably retake the DAT in a couple of months and hope for the best.