Should I retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalbug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys here is my dat score:

PA 20
QR 27
RC 19
Bi 18
GC 24
OC 18
TS 19
AA 21

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Those are solid scores. I wouldn't retake unless you have a below average GPA or if you are trying to get into a really competitive school. You can see the average accepted scores and GPAs at individual schools at the following link to get an idea on what each school takes. Just make sure you have some good shadowing and volunteer hours and get your application in early and you should get plenty of interviews.

http://dentalstudentbooks.com/dental_school_statistics.html

your scores are great, for bio and OC they are average but acceptable by most schools, like they said in the previous post, if you are planing to apply for very competitive school then you need to raise those two scores, otherwise what i would do is to talk to the admissions office, or write a letter of intent stating that you are willing to retake the DAT if they request a repeat... but your grades are good, even if you plan to retake, i wouldn't worry too much, maybe spend one month strict on sciences and you will score off the chart. if you are worried whether you will get those high scores again on some of the subjects, SOME schools will still consider previous DAT scores as long as you score 18 or higher on the retake.