Should I retake the GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mull

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are looking at schools that have a higher ranking, I might consider retaking it, particularly because a lot of schools use things like GRE scores and GPA as a "weeding out" factor before they even really look at candidates they may be interested in. Also, I know that GRE scores play a major factor in who gets picked for funding (at my school at least), so there might be something similar that occurs at other schools.

I personally wouldn't retake it. Your scores are good already and I don't think it would be worth it to spend another $200 to take it again.

I had a 152 on both sections of the GRE and 3.78 GPA and was accepted to every program I applied to, so you already have better stats than me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
-

Last edited:
It definitely can't hurt to take it again (I took it 3 times). I was basically just saying that you probably have a good chance of getting in to most, if not all places you apply to with your stats as of right now. And if I had your scores, I would not want to go through the whole process of having to re-take it and spend that money (I despise standardized testing, as I'm sure most of us do, haha). But if you want to improve, definitely go for it!

I do not think the writing score matters much at all (although this could depend on the school). My Audiology professor told us that most schools do not care about writing at all. I made a 4 the first time I took it, and then 3.5 the following two times.