Should I Retake the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HolyLights

Space Monkey
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently debating about retaking the PCAT because my GPA is pretty low, which is 3.0 at the moment and my PCAT composite score is 91
Verbal 75
Bio 96
Reading 46
Math 91
Chem 94
Composite 91

writing 3
Problem solv 3

My reading comprehension is far too low and my verbal is low as well compare to the other area. I'm just pondering about whether i should retake the PCAT again or not. Any suggestion would help, Thanks.

I just realize i put this in the wrong thread, is there any way to move it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since it's your first time, retake it if you want. I would try to get the Reading to be at least in the 70s. Everything else is great!

I'm currently debating about retaking the PCAT because my GPA is pretty low, which is 3.0 at the moment and my PCAT composite score is 91
Verbal 75
Bio 96
Reading 46
Math 91
Chem 94
Composite 91

writing 3
Problem solv 3

My reading comprehension is far too low and my verbal is low as well compare to the other area. I'm just pondering about whether i should retake the PCAT again or not. Any suggestion would help, Thanks.

Seriously, with a composite PCAT that high, you might not want to re-take it and deal with the stress and cost of taking it again.

Verbal 75
Bio 96
Reading 46
Math 91
Chem 94
Composite 91

writing 3
Problem solv 3

No need to retake.

PCAT 91 = A-

GPA = 3.0 = B

A- + B = better than average yet below excellent applicant

Work on your personal statment and letter of recommendations.
You will at least get one or two interviews

good luck

i would not think about retaking pcat if i had gotten a 91 composite...i got in with 64 composite...

Thanks for all the inputs, yeah, it's probably not worth it to risk lowering it even more.

it's probably not worth the risk of retaking it and getting a lower score. from my point of view, the only exception would be if the school(s) you want to get into require every section to be at least a certain score.

i would not think about retaking pcat if i had gotten a 91 composite...i got in with 64 composite...
if u don't mind, can u tell me was ur composite low because of reading and verbal or the other three parts. cuz i did really bad last time on the verbal and reading but everything else was okay.
thanks

it's probably not worth the risk of retaking it and getting a lower score. from my point of view, the only exception would be if the school(s) you want to get into require every section to be at least a certain score.

I thought schools take the highest score out of multiple tests. So if you a second test was lower than the first, then the first one will be taken, right?

I thought schools take the highest score out of multiple tests. So if you a second test was lower than the first, then the first one will be taken, right?

Most pharmacy schools say they will take the higher one no matter how many times you take the PCAT. But honestly, a friend of mine did that and got a lower score. At his interview, they asked why did he do worse the second time around and it's hard to be put in that situation. So they asked him to take it again, which will be his third time. :scared:

Most pharmacy schools say they will take the higher one no matter how many times you take the PCAT. But honestly, a friend of mine did that and got a lower score. At his interview, they asked why did he do worse the second time around and it's hard to be put in that situation. So they asked him to take it again, which will be his third time. :scared:
what school was he applying to?

My composite is 92 but the essays only scored a 2/2.5. Would you guys recommend to just take some writing courses to show my effort in improving my writing skills instead of retaking PCAT just to get a point higher in essay score?

My composite is 92 but the essays only scored a 2/2.5. Would you guys recommend to just take some writing courses to show my effort in improving my writing skills instead of retaking PCAT just to get a point higher in essay score?

Though I know of schools that do look at those scores, including mine, but I do not think that your writing scores will tank your app given your high composite.