Should I retake to try for a higher MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ebeb50

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I recently have gotten my mcat scores back 513 overall but a little bummed because I was scoring higher on practice exams (516+) and wanted to have a decent shot at some of the more prestigious schools. I know it isn't all about prestige but it would be cool to try and I want to know if it's even worth it. I think it was a lot of nerves but I don't know if it would be worth it to retake. Especially since on my practices my C/P and B/B was a few points higher than what I got on test day.

A little more background about me:
Ethnicity: Black AA Female
Major: Modern Languages w/ chem minor
GPA: 4,0 - Overall and + Science
Won't detail ECs but feel confident enough about them that it would be a pretty well rounded application.

I really want to have a shot at schools like Pitt, Brown, and other higher mid-tiers but wonder if it would be worth retaking.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm that's a toughie. I personally wouldn't retake since the score you got is solid, unless you are certain you could score significantly higher the next time. If it makes you feel any better, I'm also an AA female and had a lower GPA than you (3.4c/3.3s) and a lower MCAT (511) and was accepted to a T10 with a full ride and a T30! My ECs definitely carried my app lol so it's not all about stats!

Best of luck this upcoming cycle :) Feel free to PM me if you ever wanna chat!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao you’re a shoo in for the top 20s with merit money assuming you interview well. You will be just fine :)

Source: I got into Pitt with lower stats than that and was affected outright. Granted I had really good EC’s and interview well but I wouldn’t worry :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,
I recently have gotten my mcat scores back 513 overall but a little bummed because I was scoring higher on practice exams (516+) and wanted to have a decent shot at some of the more prestigious schools. I know it isn't all about prestige but it would be cool to try and I want to know if it's even worth it. I think it was a lot of nerves but I don't know if it would be worth it to retake. Especially since on my practices my C/P and B/B was a few points higher than what I got on test day.

A little more background about me:
Ethnicity: Black AA Female
Major: Modern Languages w/ chem minor
GPA: 4,0 - Overall and + Science
Won't detail ECs but feel confident enough about them that it would be a pretty well rounded application.

I really want to have a shot at schools like Pitt, Brown, and other higher mid-tiers but wonder if it would be worth retaking.

Thank you.
I don't want to sound ash, but why would you retake a 513? Are metrics the only thing to get accepted? It seems a lot of people get this process wrong. Look for a school that fits your mission, and your own mission fits theirs, simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.