Should I retake two science courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mavs88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made a C in Microbiology and a C in Gen Chem II a few years ago. I am wondering whether I should retake these? I have since made all As in upper level chemistry and biology courses.

My overall GPA at application for retake vs. no retake would be: 3.85 vs. 3.74
The science GPA: 3.90 vs. 3.71

Is it really worth it for me to re take these two courses? I really don't want to have to go over the material again for them. Will it look bad on me for not re taking them? Again, I have many upper levels after these where I have made As.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

2 Cs will not hurt, especially when you already have a 3.7 cGPA and sGPA. you're fine.

these two would be my last priority if you didn't get in and you had basically done "everything" you could for the rest of your app. assuming everything else is sufficient, a 3.7 should not keep you out of any DO school

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely not for DO schools. If you were trying to get into Harvard or Hopkins then yes you basically cant have any C's on your transcript. But for most regular schools and DO school, so long as the entire package is good, they wont go picking at little stuff like that. This is particularly true if there are good trends in your grades (as you suggested that you have). Nice grades overall! Grade wise you can get into any DO school in the country. Kill that MCAT and you are good to go.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!