-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Should I retake with a 20
Started by Jay20155555
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
F
fogorvostan
What is your combined undergrad + SMP science GPA?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a 20 on my DAT, and 20 in every section.
My undergrad science GPA is about a 2.68
I am in a SMP program with a 4.0 with about 26 credits by the time a apply.
So should I retake the DAT? to try to make up for my low undergrad gpa?
Where did you do your SMP?
I am doing my SMP at rutgers
I am also retaking a few classes I did not do so well in in undergrad online at my undergrad at the same time
I am also retaking a few classes I did not do so well in in undergrad online at my undergrad at the same time
F
fogorvostan
Fair enough. AADSAS had my undergrad GPAs, grad school GPAs, and then all of them combined.SMP gpa isn't combined with undergrad i believe as it's grad courses vs undergrad. I'd highly recommend you retake and get at least 22AA+
With that GPA, you're gonna have to retake a 30 too.
savage
OP, I may be wrong but
if you think your SMP 4.0 of only 26 credits combined with the 20 DAT will make the adcoms forget about your 2.68GPA of 4 year/3year undergrad is very misleading.
before you join your SMP, you should do postbach to pull 2.68 GPA up to 3.0 or 3.1 then do a SMP. then 22 or above DAT will make you kinda competitive. At this rate, you are very likely passed over for someone with 20 DAT and 3.6, 3.7 GPA (which, believe me, many pre dents have)
I wonder what kind of SMP accepts 2.68 students
if you think your SMP 4.0 of only 26 credits combined with the 20 DAT will make the adcoms forget about your 2.68GPA of 4 year/3year undergrad is very misleading.
before you join your SMP, you should do postbach to pull 2.68 GPA up to 3.0 or 3.1 then do a SMP. then 22 or above DAT will make you kinda competitive. At this rate, you are very likely passed over for someone with 20 DAT and 3.6, 3.7 GPA (which, believe me, many pre dents have)
I wonder what kind of SMP accepts 2.68 students
You've taken an excellent route to correct your undergraduate GPA. I would continue to do well in your SMP. If you can manage, get involved in extracurriculars like research and community service. During that time, I would focus on crafting a personal statement that describes your story and why/how you've come far since undergrad. No need to retake your DAT. Put that time in the previous things I've described.
Last edited:
I think you've made up for that 2.6 GPA with your current 4.0 SMP. Not only does the number look better, but it shows you're capable of improvement. As Kittenz said, I would probably not worry about the DAT so much and instead try to get extracurriculars done and be prepared to explain why you struggled at first.
I wonder if some people didn't read the part that he's getting 4.0 on SMP program.
Yes he blew his undergrad GPA, but he showed improvement by getting 4.0.
Not the best undergrad GPA, I think adcoms will want to hear your story, and not reject you right away.
20 DAT seems fine. Of course, it would help you out if higher, but you don't want to risk getting lower scores.
Yes he blew his undergrad GPA, but he showed improvement by getting 4.0.
Not the best undergrad GPA, I think adcoms will want to hear your story, and not reject you right away.
20 DAT seems fine. Of course, it would help you out if higher, but you don't want to risk getting lower scores.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!
I dont think you should retake if your AA is 20 and every section in between is a 20 across the board. Focus on improving what you are deficient in. Your gpa was less than stellar and clearly you made a significant improvement in your SMP (congrats on that!!!!!). Make sure your ECs are up to par and prepare to slay your interviews. You don't need to improve what isn't broken and you fix what is..which you have done with your gpa!!!!! End your SMP on a fabulous note and you should be fine 🙂 Good luck!!
I dont think you should retake if your AA is 20 and every section in between is a 20 across the board. Focus on improving what you are deficient in. Your gpa was less than stellar and clearly you made a significant improvement in your SMP (congrats on that!!!!!). Make sure your ECs are up to par and prepare to slay your interviews. You don't need to improve what isn't broken and you fix what is..which you have done with your gpa!!!!! End your SMP on a fabulous note and you should be fine 🙂 Good luck!!
OP, I may be wrong but
if you think your SMP 4.0 of only 26 credits combined with the 20 DAT will make the adcoms forget about your 2.68GPA of 4 year/3year undergrad is very misleading.
before you join your SMP, you should do postbach to pull 2.68 GPA up to 3.0 or 3.1 then do a SMP. then 22 or above DAT will make you kinda competitive. At this rate, you are very likely passed over for someone with 20 DAT and 3.6, 3.7 GPA (which, believe me, many pre dents have)
I wonder what kind of SMP accepts 2.68 students
Same.
20 is a decent score. Do well in your SMP and still apply broadly. I think many schools think the GPA is more important than the DAT. One adcom told me they rather see post bac work than a master's program because even if you get 4.0 in masters, your undergrad gpa will still be an unwanted eye catcher. From my experience, I have a low science gpa of 3.1 and a DAT of 19 and I have spoken to many adcoms that said retaking the DAT would be helpful but if I have limited time and money, focusing on the gpa Is more important.
S
schmoob
You'll be fine. A 20AA and a 4.0 SMP should do the trick. Whatever issues you've had in the past, you've shown that you've overcome them and are capable of handling the course load of dental school.
Work on your statement, EC'S, and LoR's and you'll be ok.
I swear, SDN makes everyone feel that without a 23+ and a 3.8, no one has a chance to get into dental school. I almost listened but decided to go apply anyway, and will be starting dental school in the fall.
Work on your statement, EC'S, and LoR's and you'll be ok.
I swear, SDN makes everyone feel that without a 23+ and a 3.8, no one has a chance to get into dental school. I almost listened but decided to go apply anyway, and will be starting dental school in the fall.
Agree. Fix that undergrads gpa, not the DAT. You have proved that you can take a particularly difficult test in a particularly difficult day. No need for another proof on the same criteria....You don't need to improve what isn't broken and you fix what is..which you have done with your gpa!!!!! End your SMP on a fabulous note and you should be fine 🙂 Good luck!!
I thought the same thing at first. You don't have to be a genius to get in, just work hard.You'll be fine. A 20AA and a 4.0 SMP should do the trick. Whatever issues you've had in the past, you've shown that you've overcome them and are capable of handling the course load of dental school.
Work on your statement, EC'S, and LoR's and you'll be ok.
I swear, SDN makes everyone feel that without a 23+ and a 3.8, no one has a chance to get into dental school. I almost listened but decided to go apply anyway, and will be starting dental school in the fall.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 712