Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applecider23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a ogpa of 3.6 and a sci gpa of 3.5

Finished my DATs about 2 weeks ago and am now debating whether i should retake. I want to apply to the schools to the schools in California (instate).

PAT: 23
BIO: 18
GC:20
OC:21
QR:18
RC: 20
AA:19
TS:19

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Do Not Retake....Don't think everyone is getting 24-25's like some people on SDN. The national avg for the DATs is a 17 I believe ....like a 17.4 or something along those scores. You have a good GPA and the national acceptance for dental school last year depending on the school is 19-20. You have no scores below 18. Don't expect to get into UCLA but you should definitely apply and see what happens. You have a very good chance. I personally know people with worse scores get into dental school. Good Luck

Your score is great and so is your gpa! You'll definite be fine, don't let sdn scare you. Just work on your PS and other things now!

Thanks for the advice. Yeah its pretty discouraging reading the breakdowns since it seems like everyone is doing well. The main concern is that schools like UOP and UCSF have an average of 20-21aa for matriculating students; USC also has an average about 20..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. Yeah its pretty discouraging reading the breakdowns since it seems like everyone is doing well. The main concern is that schools like UOP and UCSF have an average of 20-21aa for matriculating students; USC also has an average about 20..

doesn't UCLA favor high PAT scores? Go ahead and apply.

But you're ABOVE the average gpa of UOP AND USC. UCLA is a long shot for sure but I still think you have pretty good odds of getting an interview at either school. Oh and UCLA does favor high PAT but it's still quite a long shot. You might as well try though if you have the cash!

I agree with all the others. A retake is not necessary at all! Hold your head up high!