Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chubz0924

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if I should retake..
BIO-18
GCHEM-19
OCHEM-22
RC-21
QR-17
PAT-19
AA: 19 TS:19

I really feel like I could do better. In the weeks leading up to the exam, my fiancé was in a really bad car accident and not only did that take an emotional toll, but it lead my to lose my focus because so much was going on at once. I feel that I could score better if I am 100% focused.
My GPA is 3.5 and sGPA is a 3.3ish. I am a Texas resident, and I am not applying until next cycle, so I am hoping on raising my GPA and doing a lot more volunteer hours, apart from shadowing. Any advice would help.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are applying next cycle, I would definitely say retake. A score of 21+ will increase your chances dramatically.

It goes without saying that a drop in score will not look very good so make sure to get a higher score.

BIO-18
GCHEM-19
OCHEM-22
RC-21
QR-17
PAT-19

I really feel like I could do better. In the weeks leading up to the exam, my fiancé was in a really bad car accident and not only did that take an emotional toll, but it lead my to lose my focus because so much was going on at once. I feel that I could score better if I am 100% focused.
My GPA is 3.5 and sGPA is a 3.3ish. I am a Texas resident, and I am not applying until next cycle, so I am hoping on raising my GPA and doing a lot more volunteer hours, apart from shadowing. Any advice would help.

Those aren't bad scores, but if you felt like you could do better I'd say retake.

If you have already applied or not, retake is a good idea.

But,

I am so sorry about your fiancee and luck! Isn't it frustrating how all the bad stuff happen when we are preparing for the dat!

I am glad she survived, and that's what matters at the end of the day. The dat can be retaken anytime after the 3 months, but lives and health can't be replaced.

In all cases, great job on getting these scores amidst such hardship and they are still nice scores and nice gpa, so be proud!

Best of luck! I hope you get accepted!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
BIO-18
GCHEM-19
OCHEM-22
RC-21
QR-17
PAT-19

Congratulations! Your scores should get you interviews at some schools, a lot will depend on where you apply. We are truly sorry about your hardships this summer that affected your scores. The DAT is a challenging test and takes 100% focus. In spite of everything, you managed good scores with nothing too low. Should you decide to retake the DAT let us know and we will do what we can to help.

Wishing the best

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Reactions: 1 user