SHOULD I RETAKE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumerak264

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Today I took my retake of DAT. Honestly I am really glad that I finished it however, I don't know if I should retake it or not. I feel so drained out studying. What do you guys suggest?

My first time/second time
PAT: 15/17
Math: 19/17
Reading: 19/19
Bio: 16/18
Gchem: 16/19
Ochem:19/17
TS: 17/18
AA: 17/17

My CGPA:3.26
SGPA:3.02
1000 HOURS and was really invovled undrad.

Members don't see this ad.

What did you use to study?? Unfortunately your scores are pretty low across the bored.. 19s aren’t bad but there’s alot of 18s and 17s

What did you use to study? PATBooster was really helpful for me when I used it daily and took the exams weekly. Also for reading I read a couple scientific articles daily which I felt helped increase my reading spread.

3.02 gpa is pretty low on especially when paired with a 17/18 DAT

Reactions: 1 user
to be frank, your app needs a bit of a booster.

GPA is on the lower end, and the DAT needs to be improved. if you have already graduated, you may need to consider a post-bac/Masters.

DAT I would think needs a retake. aim for 22+, but even with that I think that this GPA may be a large red flag. Dental school is academically very rigorous, and adcoms want to make sure you are ready.

This is going to be a challenging road to dental school, but definitely possible. Gotta put your game face on and mentally prepare yourself for a multiple year journey before getting in. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,

Today I took my retake of DAT. Honestly I am really glad that I finished it however, I don't know if I should retake it or not. I feel so drained out studying. What do you guys suggest?

My first time/second time
PAT: 15/17
Math: 19/17
Reading: 19/19
Bio: 16/18
Gchem: 16/19
Ochem:19/17
TS: 17/18
AA: 17/17

My CGPA:3.26
SGPA:3.02
1000 HOURS and was really invovled undrad.
I'm unfortunately going to have to agree with the rest of the comments here. Your lower GPA makes a higher DAT than you scored necessary to get an interview at most dental schools. Your hours of involvement/shadowing are fantastic, but they can only take you so far!

Like the rest of us, I'd be interested to know what you used to study. If it was an online service, it might be worth switching it up this time around so that you learn the basics before jumping straight back in. Like @natemckeown2 suggested, the Destroyer books do a pretty good job with that, at least I found. You probably want to use those resources to get up to at least a 20 all around with your GPA. Best of luck!!

I'm unfortunately going to have to agree with the rest of the comments here. Your lower GPA makes a higher DAT than you scored necessary to get an interview at most dental schools. Your hours of involvement/shadowing are fantastic, but they can only take you so far!

Like the rest of us, I'd be interested to know what you used to study. If it was an online service, it might be worth switching it up this time around so that you learn the basics before jumping straight back in. Like @natemckeown2 suggested, the Destroyer books do a pretty good job with that, at least I found. You probably want to use those resources to get up to at least a 20 all around with your GPA. Best of luck!!
I used DATBootcamp mainly for both times. It just sucks because when I was taking the test, I didnt think it was that hard. I thought I knew what I was doing. I also used DATBooster for Genchem and Bio only. For GenChem, I also used Chad's. I didnt use destroyer at all. I tried but they were so hard that I didn't bother. Toward's ending I bought DATQVault for Bio and did 8 exams. I was doing bad in them like 16 or 15. Idk where I went wrong. Especially for math, I felt really ready for it. Before the exam, I knew I was gonna do terrible on PAT but I was expecting a little better on other sections. It's so discouraging because now I am here thinking what should I be doing that I improve next time. People say good stuff about destroyer but idk. i never gave it a try. idk what to do. I am so lost

I used DATBootcamp mainly for both times. It just sucks because when I was taking the test, I didnt think it was that hard. I thought I knew what I was doing. I also used DATBooster for Genchem and Bio only. For GenChem, I also used Chad's. I didnt use destroyer at all. I tried but they were so hard that I didn't bother. Toward's ending I bought DATQVault for Bio and did 8 exams. I was doing bad in them like 16 or 15. Idk where I went wrong. Especially for math, I felt really ready for it. Before the exam, I knew I was gonna do terrible on PAT but I was expecting a little better on other sections. It's so discouraging because now I am here thinking what should I be doing that I improve next time. People say good stuff about destroyer but idk. i never gave it a try. idk what to do. I am so lost
Give the Destroyer a chance, what do you have to lose? You have the book already and it is indeed very challenging but from years of experience it's clear to me that students that can master the Destroyer(Math Destroyer if you are weak in Math) more times that not score high on the DAT. You found the Destroyer hard because you needed to work on the concepts and build a better foundation. I am sorry but it looks like you will have to retake the DAT but do not give up, you can PM me if you have some questions or concerns on how to improve your score.

Wishing you the best....Nancy, owner/ DAT Destroyer, Orgoman

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
All solid resources. I’m confident that DAT Bootcamp and Booster are sufficient for something in the 19-20 range. Destroyer will help you get much higher though I don’t think it should be a priority until you figure out a better studying approach. Since they are excellent resources, I think you should instead focus on your studying methodology in examining what went wrong. I suggest my post on my studying approach (see signature). Basically, your studying needs to be active rather than passive. Your reviews after practice tests need to be deliberate in challenging your understanding of every answer choice.

1st do a science masters and get as close to a 4.0 as possible. Then get as many reputable prep materials as you can and study non-stop for 6 months until you know everything by pure memorization. It sounds crazy, but it’s doable and it’s honestly the shortest path to dental school for you that I see. Realize your 3rd attempt should not be taken lightly, as I have never heard of someone being accepted after taking the test 4 times.

Reactions: 1 users
1st do a science masters and get as close to a 4.0 as possible. Then get as many reputable prep materials as you can and study non-stop for 6 months until you know everything by pure memorization. It sounds crazy, but it’s doable and it’s honestly the shortest path to dental school for you that I see. Realize your 3rd attempt should not be taken lightly, as I have never heard of someone being accepted after taking the test 4 times.
Thanks for offering some great advice, "Your 3rd attempt should not be taken lightly", I agree...FYI, I have worked with many students after 4 times, even one after 5 not recommended so take the good advice that has been given. After the 3rd attempt you have to get permission to retake and wait a year, so don't even go there.

Nancy

Reactions: 1 user