Should I Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lipoxygenase

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't throw stone at me if I sound obnoxious but I want to get into a first-tier school. Now that course-work is done and over with, the only way to shine my record is by re-taking the DAT and improving the score. My GPA at my undergrad was ~3.5 but at my post-bac GPA was ~3.1 :thumbdown:. Both science & total GPAs are at ~3.3. I'm a NY resident, have some research and community service experiences and other jubilee~:sleep:!

Here's the breakdown of my scores:
PA 17
QR 19 :thumbdown:
RC 17
Bio 21
GChem 26
OChem 17 :thumbdown:
Total Sci 20
Acad Avg 20

I only took 3 diags before writing the real exam (June, 07), and they ranged somewhere around low to mid 20's, at least on all science or QR sections. The real thing felt slightly trickier than the diags. But I think I could have done much better if I had done more practices because my problem with the real thing was mostly time issue. I ended up randomly guessing last 10+ questions both in the QR section and the Science section, ergo low OChem score.

I'm debating whether I should get my gears up, study intensively for the next ten days and try to take it one more time... or just shut up and apply. I do think that I have a good shot at a middle tier, but I want to get into a top-tier school. Once again, if I sound obnoxious, just look away... I'll stop bitching.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't throw stone at me if I sound obnoxious but I want to get into a first-tier school. Now that course-work is done and over with, the only way to shine my record is by re-taking the DAT and improving the score. My GPA at my undergrad is ~3.5 but my post-bac GPA is ~3.1 :thumbdown:. Both science & total GPAs are at ~3.3. I'm a NY resident, have some research and community service experiences and other jubilee~:sleep:!

PA 17
RC 17
Bio 21
GChem 26
Total Sci 20
Acad Avg 20

I only took 3 diags before writing the real exam (June, 07), and they ranged somewhere around low to mid 20's, at least on all science or QR sections. The real thing felt slightly trickier than the diags. But I think I could have done much better if I had done more practices because my problem with the real thing was mostly time issue. I ended up randomly guessing last 10+ questions both in the QR section and the Science section, ergo low OChem score.

I'm debating whether I should get my gears up, study intensively for the next ten days and try to take it one more time... or just shut up and apply. I do think that I have a good shot at a middle tier, but I want to get into a top-tier school. Once again, if I sound obnoxious, just look away... I'll stop bitching.

Personally, I think things are lookin good on ur end... u can take it again if u wish, but u gotta weigh out the pros and cons. U can retake and do better, or u can retake and score lower. Now u can ask urself....do u want to take that risk?

Don't throw stone at me if I sound obnoxious but I want to get into a first-tier school. Now that course-work is done and over with, the only way to shine my record is by re-taking the DAT and improving the score. My GPA at my undergrad is ~3.5 but my post-bac GPA is ~3.1 :thumbdown:. Both science & total GPAs are at ~3.3. I'm a NY resident, have some research and community service experiences and other jubilee~:sleep:!

PA 17
RC 17
Bio 21
GChem 26
Total Sci 20
Acad Avg 20

I'd retake if you wanted to get into Harvard. For heaven's sake man! You're going to get in! I'm jealous of your GChem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd retake if you wanted to get into Harvard. For heaven's sake man! You're going to get in! I'm jealous of your GChem.

Hmm... Harvard isn't one of the schools I'm interested in. The hypothetical list of schools in my head is a mixture of top, middle tiers, and 1 or 2 safeties. If you really want my response to your comment, I don't have a passion for Harvard but I think your words would have been the same if I explicitly told you what my top choice was.

Having said this... what I meant by first-tier schools was places like Columbia and StonyB. I guess this includes Harvard in the same batch; once again, I wouldn't mind of going there if they offered me a spot :laugh:. But I'm thinking of some other places in the same batch to be my top choice if that clarifies my "should i retake" question.

what is a top tier school in your opinion cuz dental schools are not ranked...not to be mean but ur gpas are just okay
-ld

Exactly my point. That's why I am considering re-taking the DAT. I can't fix the grades anymore unless I keep on taking more science classes for the next few years to pull it up by .1. I would rather re-take the DAT and push up a point or two to increase my chance of getting into my top choice schools. Besides, I've taken more than enough courses already, and I wanna apply this year.

Are you implying that no matter how I do on the next DAT I would have no chance of getting into a first-tierl? So why bother?

I would have retaken the test for any school because of the low PAT score.