should i send another letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckent

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think it'd be alright if I sent another letter of intent to my number one program? I'm not feeling so good about my previous letter because I didn't specifically say that they were going to be my number one rank even though they will be. I wish that I had something to update them on, but I really don't, because I just took step II but won't get the results for a while. They never responded to my first letter of intent either, which I'm thinking is a bad sign, because I've heard that they've responded to someone else who actually wrote them a letter. My faculty mentor told me that when he doesn't like an applicant that much, he might send a generic letter thanking them for visiting or he might just not send the applicant anything. I'm really getting nervous about my no. 1 choice. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
maybe you can send an email to the program director, letting him know that you have now finalized your rank list and that you wanted to clarify that the program is #1 on the list.

Reactions: 1 user
you dont want to sound too desperate either.

Members don't see this ad :)
ckent, a friend of mine who's a resident and helps with admissions (and whom I've referenced before) said basically it's no holds barred in this game. I do agree with Tom345 that you don't want to sound desperate, but if you send a message just like nycgirl recommends, that should be great. (At least, that's exactly what I would do.)

Originally posted by ckent
Do you guys think it'd be alright if I sent another letter of intent to my number one program? I'm not feeling so good about my previous letter because I didn't specifically say that they were going to be my number one rank even though they will be. I wish that I had something to update them on, but I really don't, because I just took step II but won't get the results for a while. They never responded to my first letter of intent either, which I'm thinking is a bad sign, because I've heard that they've responded to someone else who actually wrote them a letter. My faculty mentor told me that when he doesn't like an applicant that much, he might send a generic letter thanking them for visiting or he might just not send the applicant anything. I'm really getting nervous about my no. 1 choice. Thanks.

I think it would be ok to send another one, but with medicin and how many people (and slots per program) I wouldn't sweat these kind of subtleties as much.

The particular program you really want may not have respond to you for many reasons. In my personal and from talking to people, it really varies. Many programs have the interviewer writing back, while for some others the program director writes these replies personally. Some interviewers are simply just too lazy (or "busy") to reply. And then some programs (even the ones that isn't among the most esteemed that I have visited) just wont write back (ie. there are someone from my school last year matched at MGH said that despite his multiple letters of intent, they never wrote back, but he ended up matching there anyways).

Or they just dont like you, who knows? :p

The reality is, this is IM, not plastic surgery or NSGY. Almost every program in the country (and certainly all of your top 5) have to go down to at least 3x if not 5x (and that is good programs) their ROL to fill their 25-40 categorical slots, so there are a lot of wiggle room for them. So it isn't as critical as say plastic surgery to be in their "critical rank" range (ie. being ranked in their top 30 candidate when they have 30 slots, etc.) With so many factors, and so many other candidates that they interview per slot, I would relax - it's going to work out at the end. If you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO be there (ie. family reasons, etc.), consider a plea to your department chair or dean of student to make a quick call on your behalf - if that's not going to help you, nothing will... :)

ckent,

I wouldn't sweat it too much at all. When I was interviewing, I saw a couple of my interviewers with stacks and stacks of what looked like unopened thank you letters - neatly piled away in a corner in his office. Some places/people just don't get around to doing it...I personally have only received a few letters from the 12 programs I interviewed at...maybe it's just me though...

asm

i have received virtually zero correspondence from the 10 different places i've interviewed. some of these places have e-mailed me post interview asking for feedback. but no letters. personally, i wasn't really expecting much. these program directors must be packed busy right now. as long as the pd got your letter of intent, i think that's good enough. i'm sure it'll come into play during their ranking sessions. the question is whether or not the pd got the letter. i'm worried my expression of interest on my little thank you note might have been tossed. hopefully not!

Thanks for the feedback guys. What do you guys think about this as a follow up note?:

Dear Dr. PD,
I am writing to inform you that *program name* will be ranked as my number one program on my rank list. As I stated in my previous thank you letter, I was very impressed with your residency program; the residents seemed friendly and the faculty seemed very approachable. I think that I would fit in well with your residency program. I would be happy to provide you with additional letters of support from faculty from my home school if you wish. I can also provide you with the names and phone numbers of faculty members who would be willing to speak with you over the telephone if you would like to know more about me. I completed the USMLE step II two weeks ago and therefore I believe that your program will receive my step II score within the next few weeks. I hope that I will have the opportunity to work with you next year.

Sincerely yours,

ckent

Is it legal to state that you are going to rank them "#1" I was under the impression that you couldnt disclose exactly where you would rank them but you could use words like Highly etc..Am i mistaken?

the nrmp website says that there is nothing that prohibits you from telling the program where you are going to rank them, it's just against the rules to ask them where they're going to rank you, or for them to ask you where you are going to rank them.

Is everybody sending hand written notes or a typed message?

Originally posted by vitaminj
Is everybody sending hand written notes or a typed message?

Well, for the most part, I've been sending e-mails. I figure if they want a hard copy, they can always just print it. I've only sent hand-written notes to those who have sent them to me first. I still can't decide if I want to send the above e-mail, I spoke with a classmate about it and she made it sound like it wasn't necessary.

Hi- I usually lurk, but thought I should respond to this, since I'm a chief resident at a program and have had an insider look at the matching/interviewing process.

First, it is perfectly legal to tell a program that you are planning on ranking them #1. Programs don't necessary take that as gospel, however.

As far as emailed thank-you notes verus handwritten ones go, you should hand-write (or type) them. Regardless, they should be sent via snail-mail. Yes, it's a pain in the butt. However, it does show that you've put in an extra effort, whereas emails do not show the same amount of care. Program directors (and chief residents) get hundreds of emails from candidates. It is a major extra effort to print out so much correspondance, and unless there is a hard copy of the thank-you note that you have sent the program, it will not be in your file come rank day.

does anyone know when programs are going to be having their ranking sessions?

Ckent,

You made several helpful suggestions to my past queries and I am grateful for that ! !

I just matched with my #1 choice for neurology today !!!! I am excited ....

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

About a week before the ranking sessions, i had sent a letter via email (in the past I had sent 2 printed thank you's using crane stationery) to my TOP 3 CHOICES with the following letter(remember you want your top choice but you want the rest to think you want to go there too so if you dont get your top choice, you go someplace you desire).

I believe it should be short and sweet while conveying that you want to go there and you want them to rank you very high:

Dear Dr.XXX,

I would like to reiterate my interest in the XXX residency program at XXX. I believe I will receive quality training and be exposed to numerous research opportunities. I feel that my career goals will most be likely be met by your residency program; therefore, it is with no hesitation that I will be placing the XXX at the top of my rank list. I hope to be highly considered to join your XXXX.

Best regards,

XXXX

ckent: my wife did help me compose this letter so all credit goes to her :love:

Originally posted by US_FMG
Ckent,

You made several helpful suggestions to my past queries and I am grateful for that ! !

I just matched with my #1 choice for neurology today !!!! I am excited ....

Congrats on matching at your #1 choice! :clap:

Thanks for sharing your note too.

Medres, how much weight do you guys put into these letters of intent? Thanks for coming out of lurking too, we could definitely use some more senior people here.

To be honest, not much stock is put into these letters of intent. US_FMG's previous post illustrates why. He sent a letter to three programs telling all of them that he was essentially ranking them first. We know that people do this.

That being said, you should still send a letter of intent to the program (the ONE program!) that you intend on ranking first. To make your letter stand out, make it clear that it is not a form letter. State specific things about the program that you like. If possible, mention the names of a few residents that you spoke to on your interview day- "I especially enjoyed talking to Dr. So and So, who is an intern in the program. Her enthusiasm has shown me how much I would get out of this program!"

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Advice from PD at my school.

Write one letter to your top choice telling them that they're your top choice. Do not write, "I'll be ranking you very highly," to anyone, especially Nos. 1-4 etc.

General Opinion that I've heard is that a "letter of intent" has minimal value, but hey, some of us will take all the help we can get. I personally am adamantly against telling more than one program that they are my top choice!