Should I skip AAMC qpacks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorwannabe1234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took aamc FL1 last week and got a 493 after doing Kaplan and anki for 4 months with little practice questions. I pushed my test back to 7/29 and I’m only going to focus on AAMC and Uglobe to see if it helps.

FL1 score breakdown: 122/125/121/125. I’m enjoying the cars qpack and I’m getting most of the questions correct as I progress so I’ll stick with that. In terms of b/b, c/p, and p/s, should I skip those qpack and focus on uglobe? I’m looking to score in the 503-505 range to get into my state school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t write off any of the AAMC resources. The question packs for C/P and B/B are more straightforward than UWorld. Good palate cleanser in my experience, and helpful for getting a sense of AAMC style (even if a little outdated). UWorld is a little too detailed sometimes.

The question pack for P/S is a must-do. UWorld has a lot of content but the AAMC pack has the actual question style, which is especially crucial for P/S since it was only introduced in the 2015 edition.

For CARS make sure you are really thinking through the options to maximise the utility of the qpack. I only got 75% (less than “most”) correct on my first pass but I was also scoring ~130 on FLs.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have the time, I would do all the AAMC resources. If you don't have the time, I'd say your order of priority goes FL exams > section banks > QBanks.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have the time, I would do all the AAMC resources. If you don't have the time, I'd say your order of priority goes FL exams > section banks > QBanks.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
I do have some time since I only work 3 days a week. Should I leave the FLs until the very end of my studying or start FL2 now?

I did all the q packs, but I honestly can't say how useful they were. They were good for content, but not good for test strategy.