Should I Skip Class for a day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaceanne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I skip my 200- level Global Citenship class tomorrow? All the teacher do is talk, talk, and talk about nothing. He even told the class himself that are exam coming up will not be based off of lecture but chapter readings. Yet, I have never missed one his classes (even though I don't learn anything) and I'm always on time and focused while my classmates falls asleep in his classes or just don't show up.

But the reason I am asking you all this in the first place is because I have a job interview on Thursday and I need to get my hair done at the hair salon, but the only free day I have to do that is tomorrow because I have a big Orgo exam wensday. So do you all think it would be alright for me to skip class? The only reason I even still go to class is to add this teacher on my LORs list.

And sorry guys if I didn't get to the point quick enough but I need some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Adcoms have a giant list where they can see your attendance for every course you've ever taken. Risk it if you want, but if anyone catches you you'll be instantly blacklisted. Sound worth it to you?

Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Adcoms have a giant list where they can see your attendance for every course you've ever taken. Risk it if you want, but if anyone catches you you'll be instantly blacklisted. Sound worth it to you?

They really do that? So if I even miss one day out of a year it will raise a red flag?

Reactions: 3 users
The neuroticism has really reached another level with this thread.

Reactions: 12 users
They really do that? So if I even miss one day out of a year it will raise a red flag?
He's joking but in response to your initial question you'll be fine skipping class

Reactions: 2 users
this is something best addressed to your school's yik yak :p

Reactions: 1 user
if you don't need it, don't go.

And to think they said that "college is where you learn to make decisions by yourself."

Reactions: 3 users
The last 3 years of college I only attended labs and exam days. I literally skipped every single lecture unless there was some sort of "required" component that day (quiz, turn in a term paper or something).

I hate going to class, you'll be fine missing one, two, or 50 days so long as you don't miss am exam

Should I skip my 200- level Global Citenship class tomorrow? All the teacher do is talk, talk, and talk about nothing. He even told the class himself that are exam coming up will not be based off of lecture but chapter readings. Yet, I have never missed one his classes (even though I don't learn anything) and I'm always on time and focused while my classmates falls asleep in his classes or just don't show up.

But the reason I am asking you all this in the first place is because I have a job interview on Thursday and I need to get my hair done at the hair salon, but the only free day I have to do that is tomorrow because I have a big Orgo exam wensday. So do you all think it would be alright for me to skip class? The only reason I even still go to class is to add this teacher on my LORs list.

And sorry guys if I didn't get to the point quick enough but I need some advice.
A hair salon appointment is not a good reason to imperil a solid LOR. Unless you're a Legally Blondesque-oriented individual who would land on their feet no matter what hair-brained excuse the have. (Pun intended.)

Reactions: 1 users
How big is the class? Will the prof really notice if you aren't there?

I skipped class all the time and the max number of students we had in our classes was 30ish. I had perfect attendance on exam days though.

How big is the class? Will the prof really notice if you aren't there?
I go to a small liberal arts university so my class sizes are pretty small with about the most being 30 students in each class. On top of that, I sit in the front row and I always answer all of the Prof questions and participate in the discussions, so I'm pretty sure he'll notice I'm gone.

^For your short-term concerns, I would just be ready to answer him if he were to ask why you weren't in class. Seems pretty likely if he actually noticed you were gone since you're a regular participant.

As for the long-term concerns (med school chances).... it doesn't matter.

I go to a small liberal arts university so my class sizes are pretty small with about the most being 30 students in each class. On top of that, I sit in the front row and I always answer all of the Prof questions and participate in the discussions, so I'm pretty sure he'll notice I'm gone.

Ah, so you're "that guy"

Send him an email that you have a job interview on that day.

I didn't even bother reading this.

Are you in high school or something? If you aren't getting anything out of class, skip it. If the class is not based completely off of attendance - skip it.

^ those are the only two guidelines you need in college life