Should I still apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preopt2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my OAT in September and got a 270 AA/TS. I will be retaking the exam in January. I am also worried about my GPA, especially my science GPA. my cGPA is 3.2 and sGPA around 2.8-2.9

I do have some shadowing experiences but due to COVID, I don't have as much hours as I hoped. I did talked to a a few admission reps and they are understanding about it. So this isn't something I'm worried too much about.

I have a few extracurricular activties, such as being a hospital volunteer, lab TA and volunteering in my church/community. I definetly think I have great LORs from my optometrist and 2 science professors.

I was wondering do you guys think I have a chance this cycle? I have been worried that taking the OAT and submitting my applications in mid-January will be too late. Schools that I will be applying to are: UIWRSO, UHCO, UAB, ICO, SCO, KYCO, NSU, PCO, NECO and Western.

I know alot of people recommend submitting applications early, but I am afraid of not improving on my OAT score to 300+ (I am hopeful that this time around will be better!) I do not want to submit my applications, waste $1000+ on applications only to have to withdraw due to another low score.

Thank you for reading and I am open to all advice! =)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should def apply!!! January is not early but it’s not too late either. I really do think you have a chance.

I think you should def apply!!! January is not early but it’s not too late either. I really do think you have a chance.

thank you! I'm worried January might be late because I know someone who has been scheduling interviews for December already!

Go for it. Consider IU too since they do not take the OAT starting with the 2025 class :)