prophyprincess

2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
I only applied to the three Texas schools but am slowly regretting it. Would it be smart for me to apply to about 5 oos schools and submit the app by this weekend or should I just chill out??

My stats are
oGPA: 3.51
sGPA: 3.28
20 DAT, 16 QR/24 BIO/21 PAT
200 volunteer
80 shadow
Research
Dental Assistant

.... HELP!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: Advance

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I only applied to the three Texas schools but am slowly regretting it. Would it be smart for me to apply to about 5 oos schools and submit the app by this weekend or should I just chill out??

My stats are
200 volunteer
80 shadow
Research
Dental Assistant

.... HELP!!

Depends on how much of an issue the money is. Texas is ridiculously competitive. While your stats are decent I'm not sure how you'll fare OOS. I yoloed and applied to Texas but I doubt I'll even get an interview.

Edit: I didn't realize you were in-state. I think you implied it and it went over my head! I'm such a dimwitted little boy. I think you're fine for Texas and OOS... I'm sorry :(

Last edited:

pgex2t

2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2015
Status
Dental Student
It would be smart to do so, yes.

Reactions: prophyprincess

Advance

A&M COD D4
5+ Year Member
May 9, 2014
Texas
Status
Dental Student

My stats are
200 volunteer
80 shadow
Research
Dental Assistant

.... HELP!!

It's still extremely early in the application cycle. Don't panic. you can apply to some OOS though if you're feeling nervous.

Charles_Darwin

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
You don't have to add more schools and there's a chance you'd be fine, but if I were you I'd feel more comfortable adding more schools! That's just me though, I'd be too stressed that I didn't apply to enough schools. Good luck :)

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
USA
Status
Dental Student
Depends on how much of an issue the money is. Texas is ridiculously competitive. While your stats are decent I'm not sure how you'll fare OOS. I yoloed and applied to Texas but I doubt I'll even get an interview.
LOL! Haven't used that word used since back in 2011. Good times.

Anyway, to OP, you should be fine with 3. I was very close to applying to Texas schools via TMDSAS, but decided not to, because in general Texans happen to be very insular. I might apply for residency there after dental school, might be a better chance that way if you want to practice dentistry in Texas.

OP
prophyprincess

prophyprincess

2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank you everyone!!! My justification earlier this summer when making this decision was that gaining one more year of being a dentist if I applied oos was not financially better, nor was me moving so far away from my family worth it. I just fear May coming and me thinking "well I thought I was going to get in" and then not having a spot. The application waiting cycle is crazy hard when you want to be a dentist so badly!!!!!!!!!