Should I submit my Application now or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indianarn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, First of all good luck to everyone who is applying. I am a non traditional applicant. I have a BS in Biology and a BS in nursing. I have been a nurse for 3 years now and have seen pretty much everything in nursing. My Cumulative GPA is 3.32 and sGPA is 3.28. I am taking MCAT on September 12th, 2013. EC include Business owner of an HVAC company for 5 years, RN for 3 years, Volunteer for a teen pregnancy center for about 50 hours and on going, have shadowed a pediatrician and a nephrologist. I have lined up another shadow and internist and a DO after the exam. I have 2 LOR, one from my biology professor during my BS at WVU and one of my Nursing professor. I can get a LOR from either of the docs I followed and of course the DO that I will be shadowing. I have asked all of my schools to sent me official transcripts to AACOMAS. Only applying for DO school, very excited about that. The question is should I wait to shadow and then submit the application or submit it asap?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say ASAP because you are going to send in your LORs with your secondary.

You want your application to be in there early.

Hi everyone, First of all good luck to everyone who is applying. I am a non traditional applicant. I have a BS in Biology and a BS in nursing. I have been a nurse for 3 years now and have seen pretty much everything in nursing. My Cumulative GPA is 3.32 and sGPA is 3.28. I am taking MCAT on September 12th, 2013. EC include Business owner of an HVAC company for 5 years, RN for 3 years, Volunteer for a teen pregnancy center for about 50 hours and on going, have shadowed a pediatrician and a nephrologist. I have lined up another shadow and internist and a DO after the exam. I have 2 LOR, one from my biology professor during my BS at WVU and one of my Nursing professor. I can get a LOR from either of the docs I followed and of course the DO that I will be shadowing. I have asked all of my schools to sent me official transcripts to AACOMAS. Only applying for DO school, very excited about that. The question is should I wait to shadow and then submit the application or submit it asap?

Apply now. Shadowing really is back burner for you since you have been in health care for 3 years. It isn't like you haven't interacted with doctors during that time. Plus you have all that patient care under your belt. It's really minimal. I worked as a CNA for 7 years and never officially shadowed. It never came up as a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submit asap! Some schools will even interview you before you get your MCAT and DO shadowing complete.

Submit asap! Some schools will even interview you before you get your MCAT and DO shadowing complete.

I've never heard of this happening with no MCAT score...which schools do this?

Last edited:
This is not accurate, because a complete file must include an MCAT score. If OP does not have any previous MCAT, OP must have one in order for the app to be released to schools. In other words, you cannot get an interview if schools don't even have your application.

false

Did this happen to you? I guess I am just curious as to what schools would interview someone without a MCAT score... it seems unfair to me

Did this happen to you? I guess I am just curious as to what schools would interview someone without a MCAT score... it seems unfair to me

Not me, I took mine way before applying so I could apply on the first day.
But I do know for a fact of it happening.

Why would it be unfair? MCAT is only a portion of your application. Everything else you have done to get to that point demonstrates you you have the qualities of a successful applicant then why not interview. Interview does not mean accepted.

Regardless, OP, get your application in as soon as you can.

Not me, I took mine way before applying so I could apply on the first day.
But I do know for a fact of it happening.

Why would it be unfair? MCAT is only a portion of your application. Everything else you have done to get to that point demonstrates you you have the qualities of a successful applicant then why not interview. Interview does not mean accepted.

Regardless, OP, get your application in as soon as you can.

I agree Op needs to get the app ASAP.
I think this is a numbers game mostly, regardless of what many say. Those numbers are GPA and MCAT.
It is unfair I because you don't have all the tools to assess if an applicant deserves an ii. Sure it is a portion of the app, but it is the MCAT, you see here ALL the time great GPAs being turned down because of a low MCAT score, so it is an essential tool to adcom's. That is why. Regardless I have never heard of that, so I guess is not that common? who knows...whatever

Last edited:

Perhaps they would without shadowing, but you'll have to post proof of a school interviewing a candidate without the most objective form of academic evaluation. Until then I'm calling BS. Too many people get 3.8/17's.

edit: Also, if that is a true picture of you in your avatar I would strongly consider changing it to something a bit more anonymous.

Perhaps they would without shadowing, but you'll have to post proof of a school interviewing a candidate without the most objective form of academic evaluation. Until then I'm calling BS. Too many people get 3.8/17's.

edit: Also, if that is a true picture of you in your avatar I would strongly consider changing it to something a bit more anonymous.

Thanks for the tip lady. And for some reason, convincing a random person on the internet is just not a concern of mine.

Not everyone may get your Stepbrothers quote. Linking your MDApps profile might give away more info than you realize.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip lady. And for some reason, convincing a random person on the internet is just not a concern of mine.

Not everyone may get your Stepbrothers quote. Linking your MDApps profile might give away more info than you realize.

I'm not trying to be a hypocrite, but I could essentially say anything I want on here without anybody being able to trace it back to me. Your picture, on the other hand, could catalyze that process.

And in regards to convincing me, I don't really mind your opinion or anyone else's for that matter. I do take issue with passing anecdotal evidence off as advice for those with questions, however.

Good luck in the app cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not trying to be a hypocrite, but I could essentially say anything I want on here without anybody being able to trace it back to me. Your picture, on the other hand, could catalyze that process.

And in regards to convincing me, I don't really mind your opinion or anyone else's for that matter. I do take issue with passing anecdotal evidence off as advice for those with questions, however.

Good luck in the app cycle.

Sorry, I am failing to see the anecdote in the actual advice I gave her, which was "apply early". Everyone uses anecdotal evidence, especially in encouraging people through this process, which can be confusing or overwhelming to some.The purpose of the anecdote I did provide was encouragement. Good luck to you too.

I could say anything I want, add my picture and AACOMAS ID and I would still be representing who I am and the person in my application.

Last edited:

Not lethal combo as you might think. I met a DMU alumnus with that combo, though her mcat score was higher--a point higher.

I could say anything I want, add my picture and AACOMAS ID and I would still be representing who I am and the person in my application.

Hopefully you aren't this defensive in person. :smuggrin:

Joking aside, the apocolypse that was brought down on an SDN member last year having his acceptance withdrawn after posts here has me a little on the safe side. Besides that, your picture and personal information on your profile could attract a real creep to keep a close eye on you.

Not lethal combo as you might think. I met a DMU alumnus with that combo, though her mcat score was higher--a point higher.

Well, my point stands. :laugh::thumbup:

haha talk about defensive.

I also know someone admitted with an 18 MCAT. Wouldn't recommend it, but it happens.

Hopefully you aren't this defensive in person. :smuggrin:

Joking aside, the apocolypse that was brought down on an SDN member last year having his acceptance withdrawn after posts here has me a little on the safe side. Besides that, your picture and personal information on your profile could attract a real creep to keep a close eye on you.

Well, my point stands. :laugh::thumbup:

Lol...:thumbup:

. Besides that, your picture and personal information on your profile could attract a real creep to keep a close eye on you.

QUOTE]

I concur with this. I recently had a recruiter "find" me through SDN, even admitted to it. Tried to threaten me into working for his company even though I declined multiple times. Had to change a lot of things on my profile after that to prevent further harassment. It was becoming a stalking issue. Just be careful.

I concur with this. I recently had a recruiter "find" me through SDN, even admitted to it. Tried to threaten me into working for his company even though I declined multiple times. Had to change a lot of things on my profile after that to prevent further harassment. It was becoming a stalking issue. Just be careful.

Yikes. The internet has become a scary place. I had a friend in freshman chemistry that had her photobucket hacked and posted some extremely private pictures online. I still see them floating around reddit and the like years after the fact. People found out where she lived and she had to relocate to a different school.

. Besides that, your picture and personal information on your profile could attract a real creep to keep a close eye on you.

QUOTE]

creepy.........................................For real though Mehd School, thanks for the tips.

Also, Stepbrothers the best movie.