Should I submit my application now or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boundless

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been lurking these forums for a long time, but this is my first post. Today I took the OAT test, and my scores aren't very competitive. (TS: 280, AA:290). I know I can do better if I can study more. I am planning to retake it in January.

My application is nearly complete (doing LORs) and I wanted to know if I should submit it this week or hold off until I have retaken the OAT (in January). Any advice appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your GPA and optometric experience? Also what schools are you applying to?

My GPA is a 3.3 (about the same for science). I shadowed for only about 8 hours, but I have a lot of extracurriculars (such as president of an organization and supervisor at my job). I'm applying to MCO, PCO, MCPHS, UMSL, and IUB.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how the schools look at the applications, but from my understanding if you indicate on your application that you are planning on retaking the OAT in Jan I believe they will hold your file to review it until they get your new scores

I'm not sure how the schools look at the applications, but from my understanding if you indicate on your application that you are planning on retaking the OAT in Jan I believe they will hold your file to review it until they get your new scores

That would be great. I'm just worried about turning it all in so late. But I guess I don't really have a choice at this point.

I've heard of a lot of people turning in applications later and still getting accepted, so I wouldn't worry tooooo much about it

My GPA is a 3.3 (about the same for science). I shadowed for only about 8 hours, but I have a lot of extracurriculars (such as president of an organization and supervisor at my job). I'm applying to MCO, PCO, MCPHS, UMSL, and IUB.

You should go ahead and submit now. PCO may interview without OAT scores, not sure about the rest. It you submit now, they'll at least have your file. Since its rolling admissions, the earlier you submit the better. Just make sure you indicate that you are planning on retaking.

You should go ahead and submit now. PCO may interview without OAT scores, not sure about the rest. It you submit now, they'll at least have your file. Since its rolling admissions, the earlier you submit the better. Just make sure you indicate that you are planning on retaking.

Okay. that's probably what I'll end up doing. Thanks guys!

I'm in the same situation. I took my OAT in October (AA: 290, TS: 290) I'm really disappointed cause I thought I would do better. I'm planning to retake in January as well.
My application was finally submitted on Nov 1st.
I just scheduled an interview with PCO in the beginning of January. I'm applying to SUNY, NECO, UMSL and MCO

GPA is 3.77 and science GPA is 3.65.

I have interned at an ophthalmology clinic and shadowed/volunteered as optometric technician at an optometry office. I also have other extracurricular activities.

Just was wondering if there's any hope for me assuming that I do better on the OAT.

I'm in the same situation. I took my OAT in October (AA: 290, TS: 290) I'm really disappointed cause I thought I would do better. I'm planning to retake in January as well.
My application was finally submitted on Nov 1st.
I just scheduled an interview with PCO in the beginning of January. I'm applying to SUNY, NECO, UMSL and MCO

GPA is 3.77 and science GPA is 3.65.

I have interned at an ophthalmology clinic and shadowed/volunteered as optometric technician at an optometry office. I also have other extracurricular activities.

Just was wondering if there's any hope for me assuming that I do better on the OAT.

You have a good GPA. As long as you interview well, you should be okay with at least PCO. Your scores now should get you in (I've read about other people who were accepted to PCO with OAT scores similar to yours). I'm not sure about the rest, although I think SUNY and NECO may wait for your new scores to offer you an interview, I know SUNY for sure will wait.