This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

@pinnacle

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I know that it only takes a couple of days for processing any other additional applications after you have already been verified. So I submitted my application and personal statement(PS) with only one job shadowing experience to ICO ( probably won't be attending) about a week ago just to get verified. In the meanwhile, I am looking to build at least one more shadowing experience before sending my PS to other schools that I am more inclined to attend. Since the PS is not modifiable after you submit and also because I feel that briefly mentioning the different optometrist practices (private, chain, etc ) one has shadowed makes a more appealing PS, I have decided to wait until end of this week as I most likely will hear back from a chain optometry & vision therapy clinic about job shadowing. Would you guys do anything different in my situation? ahhh the conflict that is going in my mind right now..... Thank you .
 
Hmm, I see your dilemma. It's getting sort of late in the application cycle now. By the time you hear back from the clinic and schedule shadowing and do the shadowing, 2 weeks might have passed - and then you have to rewrite your PS. You should definitely do more shadowing, since you only have one shadowing experience right now, but I don't know if I would wait to submit apps based on it. You can always add more stuff to the "Experiences" section as you go along, and when you land interviews, you can talk a bunch about your shadowing there.
 
Hmm, I see your dilemma. It's getting sort of late in the application cycle now. By the time you hear back from the clinic and schedule shadowing and do the shadowing, 2 weeks might have passed - and then you have to rewrite your PS. You should definitely do more shadowing, since you only have one shadowing experience right now, but I don't know if I would wait to submit apps based on it. You can always add more stuff to the "Experiences" section as you go along, and when you land interviews, you can talk a bunch about your shadowing there.
Thanks for your input. I realize the lateness of my application, and I think I have elaborated what all there is to learn from shadowing already in my PS. Plus , I haven't heard back from the clinics . I think the best thing now would be to not mention the types of practices I have job shadowed .