Should I tailor my MD-PhD if I want to match into derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

working_hard1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an M1 who has solidified their first summer rotation. My project will be on computationally modeling tumorigenesis. I eventually want to match into dermatology. Should my PhD relate to dermatology in some way? I plan to do some clinical derm research outside of my PhD to make myself competitive in the match, but how much does a relevant PhD matter?

Members don't see this ad.

IMO (so take w a grain of salt) I don't think tailoring your PhD in that way makes much sense unless there's some low-hanging fruit I'm not seeing. Could you model melanoma tumorigenesis or basal cell carcinoma? Sure I don't see why not. And having some clinical term projects on the side can't hurt (and they'll allow you to have a connection w your home derm department).

Overall let those side projects be what they are - extras on the side. Stay focused on making your milestones during your PhD and remember you'll have 2 yrs when you get back to tailor your application towards derm if you still feel like it. I want to stress that last point since it'll probably be 5-6 yrs before you seriously have to start thinking about residency and a lot can change (including your clinical interests) before then so stay focused on the task at hand. Good luck!

For competitive specialties, research within that specialty matters. You don't have to tailor your whole PhD project to that field but you should have some work published in derm by the time you apply. That will help out. Obviously your PhD work is also important and will be a positive factor going for you but for competitive specialties, research in the field > research outside of the field >>>>>>> no research.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a PhD prior to medical school in a field not specific to derm. I got plenty of interviews.

I'd do what interests you. If your PhD work is more 'generic' and can be pan-applied, just supplement with derm related stuff as you've suggested.