Should I take a gap year or am I safe applying this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vertu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Just want to start off by saying how much I love this tight knit community. Everyone's so helpful!

So currently, I am a 3rd year in university. Here are my stats:
-3.45 cGPA
-3.22 sGPA
-Strong upward trend (First quarter of freshman year got a 2.7 and have been averaging 3.6ish since)
-Have not taken the MCAT, but have started studying and have been scoring in the 500s on practice full lengths. Ideally will get at least 500.
-No clinical experience (is this required/important?)
-1 year Neurology Research
-3 months tutoring underserved kids
-1 year fundraising/raising awareness for pediatric oncology
-6 months volunteering to furnish the underserved
-30 hours shadowing DPM (do I need to shadow an MD/DO too?)

With this in mind, do I need a gap year if I'm aiming to get into Western or CSPM?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you get the 500 you'll be set. No gap year necessary to pad your resume. No clinical experience necessary. No shadowing an MD/DO necessary. If you can get an LoR from the DPM you shadowed you'll be good to go.

Of course if you had the time to spare, shadowing other specialties might give you a better perspective when they inevitably ask "why podiatry" at your interviews, but it's not worth wasting a year on.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Personally, I would take a gap year to grow and explore. Once u start pod school, it will consume ur life, might as well enjoy the non medical life while u can

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with Bob on this one. You don't need a gap year.

And welcome to the community!

Bob is right, you just need a letter of rec from the DPM that you have shadowed but you should be good to apply. You should apply ASAP and upload the letters later. At CSPM they accept the letters later, so just turn your application ASAP. I am at CSPM so if you have any other questions, let me know.