Should I take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJArms22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys, I'm new to sdn, so if for some reason I make a stupid mistake or something, don't' ridicule me too much.

I just started my junior year of college at my local university. Right now my gpa is a 3.95 (I'm not exactly sure what my sci. gpa, but it should be somewhat high as well). I plan on studying for the April MCAT starting in January. The only pre-reqs I have left are physics II (which I'm currently taking) and statistics. Academically speaking, I should graduate within the next 1.5-2 years. I'm a Texas resident and a URM. I want to go to schools in Texas definitely. The reason I'm wondering if I should take a gap year is because I feel like I don't have enough EC's or great experiences. I have worked with my uncle at a retail store for 2 years and just recently quit. I volunteer/shadow at my aunt's work where she works for a pediatrician. I've been doing that for almost a year. I recently started doing rounds with a couple of doctors as well, and will continue to do so. My parents are teachers, and I have been tutoring my dad's students in math on and off for a couple of years now. I'm also a church usher, which means I basically take care of duties around the church, like maintenance and funds. I volunteer at the hospital as well. I'm also in a band with a couple of friends, nothing big, just small gigs. I love music and was in band since 5th grade. I was actually thinking of going to volunteer at my old middle school to help the band students. One thing I know, is that I am not interested in research. I know that's a minus, but it's just not something I want to do.

Besides these things, I really have not done much more. i'm not a big fan of my university's medical org., even though I am a part of it. I'm in a couple of organizations like it, but really, I don't feel they benefit much at all. Do you guys think I should wait another year and apply when I'm a senior, or just apply this year? The school I want to go to has an avg. 3.6 gpa and 29 mcat. I just feel like I don't have too much to offer in comparison to some people. I know of people who are president of a gazillion clubs and volunteer every week, etc. Any advice would be nice. I want to do more, since I'm barely staring my third year. Thanks! Sorry it's so long too.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, guys, I'm new to sdn, so if for some reason I make a stupid mistake or something, don't' ridicule me too much.

I just started my junior year of college at my local university. Right now my gpa is a 3.95 (I'm not exactly sure what my sci. gpa, but it should be somewhat high as well). I plan on studying for the April MCAT starting in January. The only pre-reqs I have left are physics II (which I'm currently taking) and statistics. Academically speaking, I should graduate within the next 1.5-2 years. I'm a Texas resident and a URM. I want to go to schools in Texas definitely. The reason I'm wondering if I should take a gap year is because I feel like I don't have enough EC's or great experiences. I have worked with my uncle at a retail store for 2 years and just recently quit. I volunteer/shadow at my aunt's work where she works for a pediatrician. I've been doing that for almost a year. I recently started doing rounds with a couple of doctors as well, and will continue to do so. My parents are teachers, and I have been tutoring my dad's students in math on and off for a couple of years now. I'm also a church usher, which means I basically take care of duties around the church, like maintenance and funds. I volunteer at the hospital as well. I'm also in a band with a couple of friends, nothing big, just small gigs. I love music and was in band since 5th grade. I was actually thinking of going to volunteer at my old middle school to help the band students. One thing I know, is that I am not interested in research. I know that's a minus, but it's just not something I want to do.

Besides these things, I really have not done much more. i'm not a big fan of my university's medical org., even though I am a part of it. I'm in a couple of organizations like it, but really, I don't feel they benefit much at all. Do you guys think I should wait another year and apply when I'm a senior, or just apply this year? The school I want to go to has an avg. 3.6 gpa and 29 mcat. I just feel like I don't have too much to offer in comparison to some people. I know of people who are president of a gazillion clubs and volunteer every week, etc. Any advice would be nice. I want to do more, since I'm barely staring my third year. Thanks! Sorry it's so long too.

Being from California, I'm not too sure how competitive Texas schools are for Texas residents, but this is just my input. If you keep up your GPA (great job btw) and get a decent score on the MCAT, I think you would have a great chance at the Texas schools! You aren't completely lacking in EC's either. I would just keep at it, maybe look for some more direct clinical experience during your junior year, something like hospice or anything else where you can get direct patient experience. Other than that, I suggest keep doing what you're doing and do things you love, even if they don't directly relate to medicine! And if you aren't interested in research, thats fine. Some schools are research focused, other's arent. Just depends on the school, and it definitely wont hold you back at MD schools as a whole.

So bottom line:
1. Maintain GPA
2. Rock the MCAT
3. Get some more clinical experience this year (you have plenty of time)

And then just as some general advice, apply early! As soon as you finish the MCAT in April, start putting together your primary (personal statement, if you haven't already started by then, and your work/activities section). Lastly, if you are totally prepared to go straight into medical school out of undergrad, then if you do all of the above, I'd say by all means, do it!

Good luck, you'll do great!

Thank you for your advice! I've been really worried about not having enough EC's as you can tell. I just wish I could think of something unique to me specific attributes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being from California, I'm not too sure how competitive Texas schools are for Texas residents, but this is just my input. If you keep up your GPA (great job btw) and get a decent score on the MCAT, I think you would have a great chance at the Texas schools! You aren't completely lacking in EC's either. I would just keep at it, maybe look for some more direct clinical experience during your junior year, something like hospice or anything else where you can get direct patient experience. Other than that, I suggest keep doing what you're doing and do things you love, even if they don't directly relate to medicine! And if you aren't interested in research, thats fine. Some schools are research focused, other's arent. Just depends on the school, and it definitely wont hold you back at MD schools as a whole.

So bottom line:
1. Maintain GPA
2. Rock the MCAT
3. Get some more clinical experience this year (you have plenty of time)

And then just as some general advice, apply early! As soon as you finish the MCAT in April, start putting together your primary (personal statement, if you haven't already started by then, and your work/activities section). Lastly, if you are totally prepared to go straight into medical school out of undergrad, then if you do all of the above, I'd say by all means, do it!

Good luck, you'll do great!

Agreed, I don't think you should have any issues, from what I have heard, texas residents are favored heavily by their state schools so they definitely have a greater advantage compared to people from other states. Also, being a URM helps you a lot. Some more clinical experience, maybe a leadership position if you have a chance and good LOR's and PS should put you in good shape.

not gonna lie, i didnt read your personal story. BUT, i suggest that everybody highly consider taking a gap year, so i thought i would add my two cents :)
Gap year allows time for maturation, resume building (even if you don't think you need it), travel and/or making money. I think a lot of the students I know (myself, included) that took at least one year off started medical school feeling fresh, confident it is what they want to do, and better able to time manage.
Of course, going straight through is great, and produces wonderful doctors. But, I have only ever heard people say they wish they would have taken a year off, and no one that I know regrets taking the time off.

I am a big supporter of the gap year. Reasons: 1 - take a year off from school, you deserve it and need it after being in school for the last 16+ years of your life. Crack open a beer and relax. 2 - you want your application to be as strong as possible the first year around, so spend your gap year getting good clinical experience, or working while volunteering. Build that resume. 3 - if you take time off, you can write secondary essays and prepare for interviews all while NOT having to worry about studying or class. Why stress yourself out and overwork yourself if you don't have to? There's no rush.

Thank you for your advice! I've been really worried about not having enough EC's as you can tell. I just wish I could think of something unique to me specific attributes.

Relax. The only thing you are missing is research, and if you don't want a top ten school or MD/PhD you will be fine without it. As long as your MCAT is at least at the matriculant average, I have no doubt you would be admitted if you apply to all the Texas schools, even if you were not a URM. :luck:

Aside from boosting your resume with a gap year, I would recommend having a gap year just to relax, explore, and learn more about life outside of academics. I took a gap year in between my sophomore and junior year working in an inner city middle school and that was probably the best decision I have ever made.