should i take a kaplan course

Started by sigh1234
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sigh1234

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my date is june 30th, the last day i can take it in this cycle to get a committee letter from my school. i've been studying here and there but really planning to grind from now till the date since im graduating soon. i was thinking of taking a course from may 23 - july 1 but not sure if itll help too much/at all since its last minute

help D: feeling very discouraged
 
When I took a Kaplan course, they recommended taking the MCAT 4+ weeks after the course ended, so your timeline really wouldn't be ideal for how the course is structured, which largely focuses on content review, in addition to a couple of test-taking strategies (which i didn't find too helpful and actually found that they hurt my score more than helped). I think the best thing you can do with ~8 weeks until test day would be doing the aamc qbanks. If you find that you need more practice questions, you could buy a uworld subscription which I've heard is very helpful although I did not use it.

just for reference, I took the MCAT twice last year- 508 at the end of April (4 weeks after my Kaplan course ended) and then a 517 in mid-July after doing only aamc qbanks that I did not finish and ignoring half of what the Kaplan instructors taught me for test-taking strategies
 
When I took a Kaplan course, they recommended taking the MCAT 4+ weeks after the course ended, so your timeline really wouldn't be ideal for how the course is structured, which largely focuses on content review, in addition to a couple of test-taking strategies (which i didn't find too helpful and actually found that they hurt my score more than helped). I think the best thing you can do with ~8 weeks until test day would be doing the aamc qbanks. If you find that you need more practice questions, you could buy a uworld subscription which I've heard is very helpful although I did not use it.

just for reference, I took the MCAT twice last year- 508 at the end of April (4 weeks after my Kaplan course ended) and then a 517 in mid-July after doing only aamc qbanks that I did not finish and ignoring half of what the Kaplan instructors taught me for test-taking strategies
thank you !!! this was really helpful