• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

hellooo

10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hi! I'm a junior at UNC Chapel Hill. Here are my stats:
-female/Indian descent
-bio major, chem and medical anthropology minors
-GPA now:
.3.1science 3.27cumulative; probably will go up to 3.27science and 3.38cumulative by the end of this semester
-lots of community service
-volunteering and shadowing
-leadership experience: Resident Advisor, founding a club etc
-research in two different labs

If I were to apply this coming yr, what MCAT score would make my application competitive? If I can bring up my gpa to 3.45science and 3.5 overall at the end of senior yr, would it be smart to just wait?

thanks soooooo much for your help!

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
Considering the mean GPA for those accepted to med school is 3.65, your cGPA after next semester still won't be very competitive. I suggest you take an additional year to improve your GPA before you apply. With a 3.5, you'd still need an MCAT of 32+ to have a good chance at the least-selective medical schools, along with a continuing upward grade trend.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Attending Physician
Hi! I'm a junior at UNC Chapel Hill. Here are my stats:
-female/Indian descent
-bio major, chem and medical anthropology minors
-GPA now:
.3.1science 3.27cumulative; probably will go up to 3.27science and 3.38cumulative by the end of this semester
-lots of community service
-volunteering and shadowing
-leadership experience: Resident Advisor, founding a club etc
-research in two different labs

If I were to apply this coming yr, what MCAT score would make my application competitive? If I can bring up my gpa to 3.45science and 3.5 overall at the end of senior yr, would it be smart to just wait?

thanks soooooo much for your help!

Are you a Native American (Indian)?

Then, your stats can be lower and have a chance.

About the Ads