Should I take a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellooo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a junior at UNC Chapel Hill. Here are my stats:
-female/Indian descent
-bio major, chem and medical anthropology minors
-GPA now:
.3.1science 3.27cumulative; probably will go up to 3.27science and 3.38cumulative by the end of this semester
-lots of community service
-volunteering and shadowing
-leadership experience: Resident Advisor, founding a club etc
-research in two different labs

If I were to apply this coming yr, what MCAT score would make my application competitive? If I can bring up my gpa to 3.45science and 3.5 overall at the end of senior yr, would it be smart to just wait?

thanks soooooo much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Considering the mean GPA for those accepted to med school is 3.65, your cGPA after next semester still won't be very competitive. I suggest you take an additional year to improve your GPA before you apply. With a 3.5, you'd still need an MCAT of 32+ to have a good chance at the least-selective medical schools, along with a continuing upward grade trend.

Hi! I'm a junior at UNC Chapel Hill. Here are my stats:
-female/Indian descent
-bio major, chem and medical anthropology minors
-GPA now:
.3.1science 3.27cumulative; probably will go up to 3.27science and 3.38cumulative by the end of this semester
-lots of community service
-volunteering and shadowing
-leadership experience: Resident Advisor, founding a club etc
-research in two different labs

If I were to apply this coming yr, what MCAT score would make my application competitive? If I can bring up my gpa to 3.45science and 3.5 overall at the end of senior yr, would it be smart to just wait?

thanks soooooo much for your help!

Are you a Native American (Indian)?

Then, your stats can be lower and have a chance.