Should I take a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am trying to decide whether I should apply this cycle or wait another year to boost my resume then apply in 2014.

I graduated this past December as a Biology and English Literature double major. My cumulative and science GPA is 3.90. I plan on taking the MCAT April 26 (I might reschedule and take it May 18 if I'm not at my "target score"). I just took aamc #3 and got a 30. My goal is to get 34-35.

EC: 30 hours at a nursing home, 50 at a physical therapy clinic, over 100 at a hospital, shadowed 50+ hours (family physician, ER physician and cardiologist). Member of SPILL student support group.

Research: 1+ years and currently am volunteering in a lab on campus for 10+ hours per week. Will be a second author for an upcoming paper.

LOR: Have 4 professors (2 biology, 2 english) willing to write me a letter.

Basically, I could spend another year and try to find a research job or get a certificate as a scribe/CNA/EMT/Phlebotomist and do some more volunteer work. Although my pre-med advisor said I should apply this year in case I don't get accepted in 2014 and may have to take the new MCAT (is this true? or will schools accept old MCAT for a couple years).

I'm leaning towards waiting a year so I can gain more experience doing research or patient care and to grow personally. I don't see too much benefit in applying this year. Also I would like to get into a good school in California or New York.

What does everyone think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to decide whether I should apply this cycle or wait another year to boost my resume then apply in 2014.

I graduated this past December as a Biology and English Literature double major. My cumulative and science GPA is 3.90. I plan on taking the MCAT April 26 (I might reschedule and take it May 18 if I'm not at my "target score"). I just took aamc #3 and got a 30. My goal is to get 34-35.

EC: 30 hours at a nursing home, 50 at a physical therapy clinic, over 100 at a hospital, shadowed 50+ hours (family physician, ER physician and cardiologist). Member of SPILL student support group.

Research: 1+ years and currently am volunteering in a lab on campus for 10+ hours per week. Will be a second author for an upcoming paper.

LOR: Have 4 professors (2 biology, 2 english) willing to write me a letter.

Basically, I could spend another year and try to find a research job or get a certificate as a scribe/CNA/EMT/Phlebotomist and do some more volunteer work. Although my pre-med advisor said I should apply this year in case I don't get accepted in 2014 and may have to take the new MCAT (is this true? or will schools accept old MCAT for a couple years).

I'm leaning towards waiting a year so I can gain more experience doing research or patient care and to grow personally. I don't see too much benefit in applying this year. Also I would like to get into a good school in California or New York.

What does everyone think?

You can probably get accepted if you apply this cycle, so it's up to you. I took 2 gap years and I definitely do not regret it. I would advise against CNA/EMT because the courses are sorta expensive, and it takes a few months after the course to take all of the certification exams. I started my EMT course in August, finished in January and was certified in April. Scribe or phlebotomist might be a better option, but I don't think you need it, and if you want to get into a "top school" for whatever reason, you might be better off pursueing a research job.

Again, I don't think you need to take a gap year, but if you want to you should go for it. It definitely won't hurt you, will help your application if you do something constructive during the year, and there's no rush applying to med school.

Thanks for the advice. A research position does sound better and after reviewing some posts on sdn it does seem like top schools prefer adequate research experience.

Were you an EMT during your gap years? Did you do any research or volunteering?