Should I take Intro to Psychology 101??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nasem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For fall of 2007, I am planning to finish my pre-dental requirements
General Chem II
General Chem II lab
Biology I
Biology I lab
Organic I
But this only accounts for 11 credits in my school. I was woundering if I should take Intro to psychology 101? I know the class is not required by many dental schools, but am I better off taking it? (one of the schools I will be applying to ~ univ of michigan ~ requires a class in psychology, but Im not sure if this is the one they are refering too). Its 4 nice credits which brings up my total 15

Members don't see this ad.

i would take it just for the hell of it because the class itself is not that hard... also, if there are some schools out there that require it, you will at least have the requirements met to apply to those schools.

just take it if you have space... class is NOT that hard...

I took intro Psych in my second year, and it was pretty interesting. Not easy to get a good grade though - the prof tested straight out of the book and let everyone know it, so the average was crazy high (~87% iirc).

After intro psyco, I have since taken 3 more, and can't seem to stop myself. I'm a little sad that I won't be able to take Psyco 371 (The Neurobiology of Learning and Memory) and Psyco 339 (Abnormal Psychology) if I get into dentistry next year. So it's win-win (or lose-lose if you look at it that way) whether I get into dentistry or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really enjoyed intro psychology class. It was definitely one of my favorite. :thumbup: I recommend it!

I would, some schools even require it ie. Indiana

For fall of 2007, I am planning to finish my pre-dental requirements
General Chem II
General Chem II lab
Biology I
Biology I lab
Organic I
But this only accounts for 11 credits in my school. I was woundering if I should take Intro to psychology 101? I know the class is not required by many dental schools, but am I better off taking it? (one of the schools I will be applying to ~ univ of michigan ~ requires a class in psychology, but Im not sure if this is the one they are refering too). Its 4 nice credits which brings up my total 15

Unless you are retaking those classes, that seems like a pretty large course load.. and since your applying to Michigan keep in mind that they now require Biochemistry and Microbiology.

Take it, it's a fun course, actually!

Unless you are retaking those classes, that seems like a pretty large course load.. and since your applying to Michigan keep in mind that they now require Biochemistry and Microbiology.

Im not retaking anything, all the classes I am taking are first timers (Graduated in '04 with BS in computer science / minors math with zero biology / chemistry courses).

As far as biochemistry / microbiology is concerned, I will be taking biochem in spring of 08 and Microbiology during fall of 2008 so I think i'll be ready for Michigan by then (Im applying for 2009 cycle)

That is actually not a bad course load. I would recommend 3 science classes a semester + filler classes to get a target of 16-18 credits. This is based on a semester school year.

So now it depends on if you can handle psych or not.