Should I take more classes before I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turtle0223

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I graduated from undergrad in 2016 and I plan to apply to medical schools next year (2021-2022 cycle). I was a biology major and my GPA was 3.9 overall and 4.0 in science. I recently found out that medical schools want more recent coursework. Hence, I am wondering if 5 years gap is considered too long. If I should take more classes, is it okay to take them at CC or online?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I graduated from undergrad in 2016 and I plan to apply to medical schools next year (2021-2022 cycle). I was a biology major and my GPA was 3.9 overall and 4.0 in science. I recently found out that medical schools want more recent coursework. Hence, I am wondering if 5 years gap is considered too long. If I should take more classes, is it okay to take them at CC or online?

If you were a biology major, it may be difficult to find biology courses that you haven’t already taken at the CC level. A strong performance on the mcat combined with your history of high academic achievement would likely diminish any concerns about your academic abilities 5 years out from undergrad.

Before you enroll in more courses, I suggest you email the schools that you are interested in to ask them if they have an expiry date on courses.

What is your MCAT? Do well and no need for additional coursework.