Should I take new MCAT if I am not accepted this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnytest

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, currently seats near my area are pretty much gone for the current mcat. I took the mcat twice before with the following scores: 31 (11/6/14) and 32 (11/9/12).

If I am not accepted to medical school for the 2015 cycle should I try taking the new MCAT or re-apply for 2016 with the scores I have? I know the new MCAT will be brutal having seen the trial sections. I am fairly confident in biochemistry, biology, and behavioral sciences. But, I tend to struggle with Physics and Reading as evident by my mcat scores.

I just hope once Oct 15th comes, accepted applicants will drop the seats that they are holding.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you see yourself getting a measurably better score? How long has it been since you took courses related to the MCAT (Biochem, sociology, chem, bio, physics, psych)?

Given your consistency (low 30s) with the actual test, I personally would feel the risk of taking the new MCAT and getting worse (29-30) would not be worth the benefit of an additional point. Unless you expect to get to 35+ I wouldnt waste your time with the studying

To me, even more uncertainty about your performance on the new format says high risk, low reward. I'd just reapply with your current scores.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT is not a problem whatsoever. Only on SDN..

A 32 is a good score. Applying strategically is the wisest move, as is fixing whatever is weak in your app.

So, currently seats near my area are pretty much gone for the current mcat. I took the mcat twice before with the following scores: 31 (11/6/14) and 32 (11/9/12).

If I am not accepted to medical school for the 2015 cycle should I try taking the new MCAT or re-apply for 2016 with the scores I have? I know the new MCAT will be brutal having seen the trial sections. I am fairly confident in biochemistry, biology, and behavioral sciences. But, I tend to struggle with Physics and Reading as evident by my mcat scores.

I just hope once Oct 15th comes, accepted applicants will drop the seats that they are holding.

Yeah a 32 is fine for a lot of medical schools. Just don't apply to schools with MCAT medians above 34+/35+ and you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user