Should I take one gap year or two gap years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinky5

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a rising senior planning to apply for the next application cycle (2024-2025). I'm a bit concerned if I would have enough clinical experience to apply next cycle. By the time the application starts, I would have just around 200-250 hours volunteering as a medical assistant volunteer at a clinic that serves underrepresented/uninsured patients as just my clinical experience. I do plan to start working full-time as a medical assistant during my gap year, and I would project those hours on the application. But I'm debating if I should take two gap years instead. My experiences at the clinic have been strong, but I'm just a bit concerned because it's not a ton of hours compared to the thousands of hours people already have before applying. I've shadowed various specialties and have some good ECs; my cGPA and sGPA are strong, and I'm planning to take the MCAT soon; it's just I'm not sure what to do here. Any advice is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

250h is enough if the rest of your app is good. Post the template in the WAMC forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait for an MCAT score to post it, but yeah once that comes in just post a WAMC.

Reactions: 1 user
Just putting in my 2cents but I'm applying now and starting my third gap year, from a personal standpoint I loved having the extra time to travel and save up some money, even moved to LA for a year which has always been a dream of mine! I took a few extra months for MCAT study too. And with each year I have more experiences to talk about which will be useful during applications/interviews. Don't be scared of some extra time, as long as you're pursuing your goals and making the most of your time it could work out in your favor :)

Reactions: 4 users