should i take step 2 early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samtang

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, i just wanted to get some advice on radiology residency potential

step 1- 222
top 40 med school, md/phd program
phd in biochem using NMR
year worth of noncredit work in IR department during Grad school years
probably good LOR's
5 basic science pubs, hopefully one clinical from (IR)

basically how do programs feel about md/phd students? alot of my medical knowledge is slipping away day by day as i await my defense. i'm anxious at what my third year grades will look like.

Members don't see this ad.

i probably would. take it in late august so that you can decide to release it if it's good but not release it if its bad. the score would come back in late september...before invites really start but when programs are still downloading documents.

step 1- 222
phd in biochem using NMR
probably good LOR's

basically how do programs feel about md/phd students? alot of my medical knowledge is slipping away day by day as i await my defense. i'm anxious at what my third year grades will look like.

step 1- 222
phd in biochem using NMR
probably good LOR's

I think your application is quite strong without it, but as the previous post, you can do the dance of not releasing the scores right away - that makes it almost a free attempt to improve. Either way, I'd say.
:D

Members don't see this ad :)

step 1- 222
phd in biochem using NMR
probably good LOR's

Depends on your grades. If you make top 25% or AOA, I'd say no need.
If your grades are average and your aiming for a top flight research program, I'd say take Step II and rock it...

You have great CV in the "everything else department", but again the most important factors for getting the interview at a top program are Step 1 scores and grades.

Good luck

thanks for the advice,

grades are mostly B's. I guess the point is that I really dont want my career hinged on doing exceptionally well on Step 2. Right now i'm ready to get in where I fit in, top program or not.

Unless they've changed the rules, you will want to take Step 2 AFTER Sept. 1to ensure that you have a choice about whether or not to release your scores. If you take it before Sept. 1, your score will automatically be sent to all your programs.

Just wondering, what would y'all say is a good general rule for who should take Step II early verses waiting until the score can't impact the match? I realize everyone's application package is different and no rule is 100% applicable, I'm just speaking in general terms. Like, people with scores above 235 for example would be advised to wait or take it early? Thanks!

Just wondering, what would y'all say is a good general rule for who should take Step II early verses waiting until the score can't impact the match? I realize everyone's application package is different and no rule is 100% applicable, I'm just speaking in general terms. Like, people with scores above 235 for example would be advised to wait or take it early? Thanks!

Above 230 i'd be inclined to wait, below i'd be inclined to take step 2. Depends also on your class rank, and what kind of program you are shooting for (Top tier vs others).

-H

Unless they've changed the rules, you will want to take Step 2 AFTER Sept. 1to ensure that you have a choice about whether or not to release your scores. If you take it before Sept. 1, your score will automatically be sent to all your programs.

well, it takes a little bit to get the result. anyone know for sure? if you take it on aug 31st, will it go through eras? or is the only safe way to do it to submit eras on sept 1 and take step 2 on 9/2?

I'm in the application process right now. What I remember is that anything taken prior to Sept 1. was automatically reported. The option to not disclose only applied to exams taken after Sept. 1 and you had to actively check a box not to release.