Should I take the GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT2024-2027

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, the schools that I am applying to is not requring GRE's should I take my GRE or maintain a high GPA? I have a lot on my plate right now and studying for the GRE's currently will definitely affect my college courses. I am applying during the Summer of 2023

Also, why does people get rejected from PT schools? I want to see if I have any characteristics that make me a bad applicant and possibly fix it!

Thank you Guys

Members don't see this ad.

I'd maintain your GPA. Why waste time and money and stress on GREs if you are certain you don't need them?

Which relates to your second question - people generally get rejected because their grades just weren't high enough. Sure, they may have the minimal requirements, but if you have, say, a 3.2 GPA and the average applicant is a 3.7, you'll get rejected simply because there were other stronger applicants. There are other reasons too, of course, but this is a biggie barrier to even get to an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
No, keep your GPA as high as possible. You can decide to take it later on but if you have a high GPA and your desired schools don't require it then there's no point.

Second question, PT's favorite answer: it depends. Focus on getting things that'll make you a good applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd maintain your GPA. Why waste time and money and stress on GREs if you are certain you don't need them?

Which relates to your second question - people generally get rejected because their grades just weren't high enough. Sure, they may have the minimal requirements, but if you have, say, a 3.2 GPA and the average applicant is a 3.7, you'll get rejected simply because there were other stronger applicants. There are other reasons too, of course, but this is a biggie barrier to even get to an interview.

Thank you

No, keep your GPA as high as possible. You can decide to take it later on but if you have a high GPA and your desired schools don't require it then there's no point.

Second question, PT's favorite answer: it depends. Focus on getting things that'll make you a good applicant

Thank you

Hello, the schools that I am applying to is not requring GRE's should I take my GRE or maintain a high GPA? I have a lot on my plate right now and studying for the GRE's currently will definitely affect my college courses. I am applying during the Summer of 2023

Also, why does people get rejected from PT schools? I want to see if I have any characteristics that make me a bad applicant and possibly fix it!

Thank you Guys
Do not take GRE if schools do not require it. (No reason to.)
Why rejected: not meet minimum requirements; accept stronger applicants than you are.