Should I take the undergraduate course Immunology or Endocrinology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nchop28

Reaction score
I guess it's a matter of preference, but if you've taken similar classes, which do you prefer? Both of these courses are integrated with the graduate school curriculum, so I will be in the same class as students in the masters program at my school.

Members don't see this ad.

Endocrinology!!!
Immunology has 10,000 cells and cytokines all w very similar names. Do it if you want to challenge yourself

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it's a matter of preference, but if you've taken similar classes, which do you prefer? Both of these courses are integrated with the graduate school curriculum, so I will be in the same class as students in the masters program at my school.
Which one is more interesting to you?

If you can't decide, flip a coin.

Which one is more interesting to you?

If you can't decide, flip a coin.

I think Immunology would be more interesting to me, but I really like the professor that teaches Endocrinology and have never met the professor that teaches Immunology.

Immuno all the way, IMO. I had an absolutely packed two week immuno stint my M1 year and if I hadn’t taken immuno post-bac, things would have been a lot more unfamiliar and dicey.

Just one opinion:

Immunology is pretty high yield for Step 1 (not that Endocrine isn't) and students tend to have much less intuition of immunology than endocrinology. I don't think either one would be wrong, however.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Just one opinion:

Immunology is pretty high yield for Step 1 (not that Endocrine isn't) and students tend to have much less intuition of immunology than endocrinology. I don't think either one would be wrong, however.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
I second this opinion. I feel that the memorization load for immunology is pretty heavy with all the clusters of differentiation and the cytokines and whatnot. and it chases you all the way to the Step. Endocrinology is more easy to memorize and figure out. I took immunology in undergrad and even though it was one of the most painful classes and far from an easy A (iirc I got an A-) I really don't regret taking it because all my immunology notes were super useful when we learned it all again in medschool (with the same textbook even, Parham's The Immune System, which has pretty great figures)

I was so glad that I took immuno in undergrad when we had immuno block in med school. We spent 2 weeks in med school learning the same stuff I had learned in a semester in undergrad. Compared to many of my classmates, I actually enjoyed immuno portion of the block because I already knew it.

with the huge problem of obesity and diabetes in our society, endocrinology will likely be more interesting for you to relate to.

I didn't take immuno or endo in college, but I did take neuroendocrinology, and found it surprisingly helpful for the MCAT. If you haven't taken the MCAT yet, it may be helpful. Plus hormones are SO cool!

I didn't take immuno or endo in college, but I did take neuroendocrinology, and found it surprisingly helpful for the MCAT. If you haven't taken the MCAT yet, it may be helpful. Plus hormones are SO cool!

agree!
I think Endo is one of those high yield topics on the mcat vs immunology imo