Should I Take USMLE Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

moonbeam18

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I go to an osteopathic school. I was wondering, should I take USMLE Step 1, for a psych residency or is the COMLEX sufficient?
 
moonbeam18 said:
I go to an osteopathic school. I was wondering, should I take USMLE Step 1, for a psych residency or is the COMLEX sufficient?

It depends on where you are hoping to do residency... By and large, psychiatry is a buyers market and you won't need to take the USMLE (I am also a DO and I chose not to take it). Some of the most competitive programs or places that aren't as familiar with DO's might raise eyebrows or require that you take USMLE, but I didn't find it to be a problem when I applied and interviewed. If you already have a few places in mind (or a general location where you think you might want to be), you can always make a few quick phone calls and just ask if they accept COMLEX scores or if you have to take USMLE...

Good luck!!
🙂