Should I test this Saturday?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saleemrodman1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have taken NS FL 1-4 and averaged a 504

Wasted AAMC FL 2 early on and got a 502

Took AAMC Sample and got a 71% overall (converted to 508-509 or something like that)

Took AAMC FL 3 and got a 509 (127-126-128-128) and then just took AAMC FL 1 right now and got a 507 (127-125-129-126).

I am just a little shocked with the AAMC FL 1 scale:

AAMC FL 3: 44/59 = 127, 41/53 = 126, 46/59 = 128, 48/59 = 128

AAMC FL 1: 41/59 =127, 38/53 = 125, 51/59 = 129, 44/59 = 126.

What's with the scaling on the P/S section? Is AAMC FL 1 supposed to be harder? Do more people take the test to skew the scale? Or did I just not perform?

TESTING this Saturday, with a 509-510 goal in mind. Wondering if I should test or not. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

pretty sure the scales are static for FLs...I can't imagine the AAMC is rejiggering the scales for practice tests, considering how much time they have to spend checking grades on transcripts and digging around library basements for arcane CARS passages...

anyway, if I were you I would sit for the exam. last time I tested I did one point better than my FL predicted. I think typical is +/- 3 points.

pretty sure the scales are static for FLs...I can't imagine the AAMC is rejiggering the scales for practice tests, considering how much time they have to spend checking grades on transcripts and digging around library basements for arcane CARS passages...

anyway, if I were you I would sit for the exam. last time I tested I did one point better than my FL predicted. I think typical is +/- 3 points.

What should I do in my last few days to keep my head ready? Also, do most people score higher on their actual MCAT?

one question away from a 130 on B/B and one question away from a 127 on P/S >.<

Would have given me a 509

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake FL2for practice (ignore the score it will be inflated)
Also focus on section banks and timing.
PS questions can be found on Uworld for free, otherwise stick with AAMC this close to your MCAT.
If you are a solid focused test taker you should be able to edge out your 509+, but know that you are right on the borderline.

Let me just say, you will never feel perfectly prepared for this test. You have to go in as ready as you'll be, calm as you can be, and sick of studying as you can be. Only trust your AAMC exam scores and nothing else. I liked some of the nonAAMC tests I took for the experience, but all of them underestimated my actual score and were not quite like the real thing. For me, the TBR FL sciences felt the closest to the real thing and the EK FL CARS felt the closest to the real thing, but no one test felt right in all four sections except AAMC.

If you feel okay and would be okay getting your average AAMC practice exam score, then just get it over with.

Actually yes, they do! I had no idea but they redo the scaling every May. I had actually taken two of my AAMC FL's before then and one of my scores dropped a point, it was my highest one too :(

Reactions: 1 user
Let me just say, you will never feel perfectly prepared for this test. You have to go in as ready as you'll be, calm as you can be, and sick of studying as you can be. Only trust your AAMC exam scores and nothing else. I liked some of the nonAAMC tests I took for the experience, but all of them underestimated my actual score and were not quite like the real thing. For me, the TBR FL sciences felt the closest to the real thing and the EK FL CARS felt the closest to the real thing, but no one test felt right in all four sections except AAMC.

If you feel okay and would be okay getting your average AAMC practice exam score, then just get it over with.

I get what you're saying. Do you think a 1-3 point jump is possible based on my AAMC FL 1 and 3 scores? I'm not counting 2, because I took it so early by mistake.

Also, how do you not panic? I feel like I will be more prone to panicking on the actual test. Are the passages similar in length to the AAMC FLs?

Last edited:
I just reviewed most of my full length 1, and about to finish reviewing the C/P section. I will spend the rest of today practicing C/P calculations from all the AAMC tests, going over a KA P/S document one more time, and doing a couple of CARS passages.

Tomorrow I will do a few UWorld P/S passages to complement my KA P/S review for today

Friday I will take it easy

Saturday I will test.

How does this sound?

Reactions: 1 user