Should I transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Undecided94

[=
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m a college sophomore taking some Dental School prerequisites at a CC. I currently have a 3.3 gpa and a 3.0 science gpa. I’m 15 years old and I figure it would be better to start over and go to University of Florida as a freshman without transferring my grades as if they never happened (I won't be considered a transfer student either way because of my unique situation so I'm not worried about ‘getting caught’). I want the fresh start because my science gpa is low and I don't want to risk not getting at least a 3.5 science gpa by the time I graduate. I am an URM and I could probably make it to Howard or Meharry but, I want to aim for UF. What's your opinion about my situation? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You are required to report the grades at every college or university you have attended when you apply to dental school. There is no "clean slate," but an upward trend at a 4 year university will look good.

Ambient, thanks for the reply. I absolutely plan to do better at a 4 year university but, due to my unique situation, I don’t have to keep my current college record. I spoke with a counselor and he can get rid of it but, I don’t know if it’s worth it to start over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting into dental school is not just about the numbers. You can raise your GPA with upper division science courses. I wouldn't go backwards. If you keep moving forward and working hard you could get into a lab sooner or have more free time to volunteer and work in the field.

Be proud of the work you've done so far and don't erase it. Also, it's not very honest to do so. Think of your integrity.

Thanks for the reply SeattleRDH. Dental school isn't all about the numbers but, it’s definitely nerve wracking when yours are low :scared:
It probably isn't honest to erase the work I have done... I didn't think about that. I won't be moving backwards and as you suggested I can always take upper division courses if necessary. Thanks again [=

Hello,
I’m a college sophomore taking some Dental School prerequisites at a CC. I currently have a 3.3 gpa and a 3.0 science gpa. I’m 15 years old and I figure it would be better to start over and go to University of Florida as a freshman without transferring my grades as if they never happened (I won't be considered a transfer student either way because of my unique situation so I'm not worried about ‘getting caught’). I want the fresh start because my science gpa is low and I don't want to risk not getting at least a 3.5 science gpa by the time I graduate. I am an URM and I could probably make it to Howard or Meharry but, I want to aim for UF. What's your opinion about my situation? Thank you!

The word "ethics" must be one that you never encountered in your lifetime.

Last edited:
doc toothache, I don't believe my problem is ethics. The program I'm enrolled in entitles me to 'test the waters' in college and quit if I want. It's a program w/ the college and it's their rules. I don't see anything wrong with erasing my completed courses if that is the terms of agreement I have with the School.

emu, yes I am a 15 year old sophomore.

doc toothache, I don't believe my problem is ethics. The program I'm enrolled in entitles me to 'test the waters' in college and quit if I want. It's a program w/ the college and it's their rules. I don't see anything wrong with erasing my completed courses if that is the terms of agreement I have with the School.

If this is the case you would be foolish to erase what you have done. Get better grades from here on out as you plan to do, but the fact that you started classes so early would stand out to ad coms. In your four years at a university you will be able to be more heavily involved in EC's and research. The upward trend is what is important. In addition, with 4 yrs you can raise that gpa easily..

Whether or not you believe it to be a question of ethics is really more your problem. That fact remains that once you have enrolled at any college or university and records have been generated, it is no longer the college in question who makes the decision on whether or not the courses are erased as you claim, but rather the institution where you wish to transfer. Your ethical responsibility is to supply all the records to all the institutions that you will be applying to and they in turn will make the decision whether to buy your "test the waters" claim.

Predoctalk, so far everybody has told me not to erase my record and it probably would be foolish to do so. I will just wait to go to university and experience it like the average student does. Thank you for your input.

doc toothache, I decided that I will keep my records. I thought about what you said and I understand now. It would be unethical to keep some of my education private if another institution asks about it. If this is how you see it (and I totally agree with you) than others might see it the same way so, I honestly thank you for your help.

first of all, some dental schools will not accept prereqs taken at a cc...and you will probably "lose" a lot of credits you have taken when you transfer because the courses do not line up (this is the case transferrign between any two schools) . I think it is cool that you have accomplished so much by age 15, so i'd say don't drop them.. u definantly wont be rejected because you didnt manage higher than a 3.3 taking courses well over your head!

On the other hand, I don't think it is immoral of you to drop them if you do want to.

but your 15! go have fun and enjoy being a teenager!

Thanks for the advice MnBucky. If the dental schools I want to apply to don't accept prereqs from CCs or if I 'lose' some credits while transfering, I wouldn't mind taking them over. Many people tell me to act my age and have fun & I definitely need to take this advice because my life is going by pretty quickly and I don't want to start working without first having the full experience of being a teenager.