Should I try a second MCAT for top MD/PhD...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WW2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did my first MCAT last summer when I just finished my sophomore year working full time at NIH reserch lab. I only have 3 weeks review before taking the test. I got a 37S (12,12,13), which I am not satisfied with. If I do it again with some preparations this summer, I could most likely get a 38-40.

I am from a HYP undergraduate school with a school-wide grade deflation policy. GPA 3.87, Science GPA 3.91, top 5%. Two NIH 2nd author publications, two plus years NIH related researches. Meaningful school and humanitarian activities.

I am for 2010 top tier MD/PhD programs. Many might say that I am crazy to retest a 37S mcat, but others think if you have a 39 MCAT it will be much better. It is difficult to decide. My only concern is not to let the programs think I am obsessed by the numbers.

Your experiences with those programs and analytical opinions will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that a retake is necessary. 37S is a very good score.

I did my first MCAT last summer when I just finished my sophomore year working full time at NIH reserch lab. I only have 3 weeks review before taking the test. I got a 37S (12,12,13), which I am not satisfied with. If I do it again with some preparations this summer, I could most likely get a 38-40.

I am from a HYP undergraduate school with a school-wide grade deflation policy. GPA 3.87, Science GPA 3.91, top 5%. Two NIH 2nd author publications, two plus years NIH related researches. Meaningful school and humanitarian activities.

I am for 2010 top tier MD/PhD programs. Many might say that I am crazy to retest a 37S mcat, but others think if you have a 39 MCAT it will be much better. It is difficult to decide. My only concern is not to let the programs think I am obsessed by the numbers.

Your experiences with those programs and analytical opinions will be much appreciated.

What is HYP? I personally find studying for the MCAT to be a waste of my time, and I would like to spend it on something more productive if I could.

Members don't see this ad :)
The whole process is kind of a craps shoot (I wonder if it will bleep that phrase?). Far too much of it for my, and everyone elses, comfort is totally random. 37S is average/slightly above average at even the best institutions, including the top tier ones. I got interviews at something like 12 schools, even though I only went to a few of those (including Baylor, which I believe is top tier, although I don't really understand the obsession with rank, since the location is much more important when looking at the next 8 years of your life) with a 37 on MCAT as well, and my GPA is much worse than yours with no publications at the time. I would put your time and effort into writing flawless essays that move the soul of the reader and practicing your interview skills. If you retake a 37, you WILL look obsessive, and if you do worse for any reason it will look really bad. If you do better, no one will care because you're already above average and all the rest of your stats are fine. You'll either get an interview or you won't, for reasons completely out of your control (other than your essays... do well on those). A 38 or a 39 is not going to change that.

HYP....Harvard, Yale, Princeton.

In that case you are even more fine. Coming from a school like that with a GPA like that is awesome.

Your only problem may come if you are not an American citizen. Even then your score is fine, you might just have to do a little more research as to which schools to apply.

I am from a HYP undergraduate school with a school-wide grade deflation policy.

That made me laugh a little bit.

A 37 is more than fine. Grades and test scores get you in the door, your interview/research gets you in the program. Not to mention, a 37 is at or above the average of even the top programs, so it will be an asset.

Quit worrying, and make sure that you understand the opportunities and challenges of being a physician-scientist, that will be more critical to you than your MCAT. Top programs toss 39 MCATs away all the time if the kid doesn't have the right motivation.

If I was reviewing the file of someone who got above a 35 and then retook the mcat, I would assume that they were annoying and would think less of them.

Don't forget you need to be a Rhodes scholar. Actually, I would go ahead and retake until you get a perfect. 45 or bust, baby!

On a more serious note, I think a few years ago I heard some Rhodes scholar failed to get into a unnamed tippy-top MSTP. Even a Rhodes is no guarantee.

I think irregardless of whether a higher score will substantially help your application (or a worse score hurt it), you have to make a decision that you will be comfortable with.

If you will not "sleep well" unless you retake, then retake. If you don't retake, and you don't get admitted, will you have a sense of regret?

Not everyone has the same attitude to their score as you do to yours, and not everyone is aiming as high as you are. Ultimately, you have to do what you feel and your values tell you is right.

Retaking just for peace of mind that you optimized your score, for me, is reasonable.

Once you're past a certain cut-off point, the MCAT score and GPA matter less. Instead of worrying about a 37 MCAT score, I would focus on ensuring the rest of your application is outstanding, including research, letters of recommendation, your essays, clinical experience and extracurriculars.

I would also practice interviewing and being sure you can explain your research and your motivation for pursuing an MD/PhD well and in a very clear fashion. I'm not sure what you mean by "Two NIH 2nd author publications". Although it is great to have publications at this point, what was your role on the project(s)? Did you demonstrate ownership of the project or were you just following along under a postdoc/grad student and happen to be in the right place at the right time? Also, what does "two plus years NIH related researches" mean? Were there two different laboratory experiences? If you have had multiple PIs, you will need good letters from each of them.

I agree with the advice that the admissions process is somewhat random. However, you can certainly do your best to optimize your application and your chances of success.

Sounds like you are already on the right track. Hope this helps! :)

Not only is it too late to reasonably retake the MCAT for the 2010 application cycle, it is a huge risk for reasons others have listed. Be satisfied with being in the 98% in a very competitive test. Take the time to get involved in some cool EC's like more research, volunteering, or shadowing.

Taking the MCAT again would be seen as an ego trip more than anything else, and it would very likely be viewed negatively be admissions committees.

Look at this website carefully and consider carefully the historical odds of you improving your score by a reasonable amount: http://aamc.org/students/mcat/admissionsadvisors/examstatistics/retester/start.htm

Last edited:
I think irregardless of whether a higher score will substantially help your application (or a worse score hurt it), you have to make a decision that you will be comfortable with.

If you will not "sleep well" unless you retake, then retake. If you don't retake, and you don't get admitted, will you have a sense of regret?

Not everyone has the same attitude to their score as you do to yours, and not everyone is aiming as high as you are. Ultimately, you have to do what you feel and your values tell you is right.

Retaking just for peace of mind that you optimized your score, for me, is reasonable.

I personally think this is horrible advice. If you application is as good as it sounds and you are not a drone in person, you will be admitted somewhere (probably to very competitive programs). Although you are allowed to do what you want, I think it is bad form to encourage someone to make a mistake.

this is just random thought. you seem like a really ambitious person. Why would you aim for a 2 pt jump on a retake? shouldn't you be aiming for a 45? or were you trying to be 50% humble there?

perfect is the enemy of the good, in mdphd admissions and everything else. be happy with a 37!

this person doesn't exist. Doesn't make sense for someone to be that smart and ask such a ******* question. my advice is...FIGURE IT OUT!!!

Once you're past a certain cut-off point, the MCAT score and GPA matter less. Instead of worrying about a 37 MCAT score, I would focus on ensuring the rest of your application is outstanding, including research, letters of recommendation, your essays, clinical experience and extracurriculars.

Agreed with all of Vader's post, but reemphasizing this part. A 37 MCAT is very close to the average for top MD/PhD programs. A higher score is not going to turn heads. A retake would be a waste of time. If you don't get into a top program with that, there's something else wrong with your app.

PS: My MCAT score all those years ago? 37.