should I try and go to the anatomy competition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alysp13751

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my dilemma, it is on may 23 and I do not think I have time to study. It is everything but neuroanatomy, including histology and embryology. I really do not think I have time, I have the grades required to enter, but I am really behind lately so idk what to do.
Everybody tells me to try, but I dont want to make a fool of myself in front of the prof, specially here that anatomists are so hardcore (germany) should I or not?

Members don't see this ad.

What is an anatomy competition?
Seconded. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find too many people here who are well-versed in the German medical education system. I can tell you, however, that for American residencies, this competition doesn't sound like something that would bolster your candidacy at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, never mind, I thought it was done everywhere.

Sounds pretty interesting. Is it like a spelling bee for anatomists? I would definitely watch a bunch of baller anatomists compete to name any given tiny ligament or nerve, would be impressive.

Sounds pretty interesting. Is it like a spelling bee for anatomists? I would definitely watch a bunch of baller anatomists compete to name any given tiny ligament or nerve, would be impressive.

lol its for students, its 3 rounds, one anatomy, other histology and other embryology. they basically asked you weird question, like a friend did it last year and he told me it was impossible, they gave him a liver and pointed at a vein that supposedly is called the Makuchi vein or somthin like that, that drains into the IVC and then he went home and googled it and he couldnt find it anywhere. The only reason I feel tempted to do it is because you get exempted from the practical part of the final, but if i go and I dont know normal things, i dont want to look like an idiot when they ask weird things. Also 3 years ago they had Gunther von Hagens as a examiner, because hes friends with one of the prof, basically to intimidate ppl bcos hes nuts

lol its for students, its 3 rounds, one anatomy, other histology and other embryology. they basically asked you weird question, like a friend did it last year and he told me it was impossible, they gave him a liver and pointed at a vein that supposedly is called the Makuchi vein or somthin like that, that drains into the IVC and then he went home and googled it and he couldnt find it anywhere. The only reason I feel tempted to do it is because you get exempted from the practical part of the final, but if i go and I dont know normal things, i dont want to look like an idiot when they ask weird things. Also 3 years ago they had Gunther von Hagens as a examiner, because hes friends with one of the prof, basically to intimidate ppl bcos hes nuts

That sounds awesome....like moot court for med students. Plus who cares about looking like an idiot. Isn't that what med school is all about? Go to the competition, treat it like a fun learning experience, and get exempted from taking the practical part of the final while the rest of your classmates are stuck studying and stressing out about it.