Should I try to explain Withdrawls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetjulia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm one of the folk going crazy waiting to hear from CU (should be happening mid March). On my transcript, I have several withdrawls over the course of two semesters during which time my mother got cancer and I had to help out with my older metally ill/developmentally delayed brother. I explained it in my application essay, but I did not bring it up during the interview. Now I'm regretting that I didn't say something, and I'm thinking about sending them a letter explaining it. Does it even matter at this point? Should I just wait until I find out if I've been accepted/waitlisted/rejected?

Also, CU's my top pick...when should I send the letter of intent?

Members don't see this ad.

If you mentioned it in your personal statement, they already know. If they interviewed you, they don't care.

CU's my top pick too...I definitely understand about waiting for the decision.

I've given this same question a lot of thought because I'm in the exact same situation with withdrawals. Honestly, I'd wait to see what your status is after they start giving out decisions. Bones2008 is right -- if you had the explanation in your personal statement, they took that into consideration when scoring your app. Your app's already been scored by the admissions committee, and sending something now probably won't make a difference. If you get accepted, then there's no need to send them more info. However, if it turns out you're waitlisted after the decisions come out, that might be a good time to send them something (e.g., a letter of intent) that puts a good spin on your application, your circumstances, and your desire to go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes if the topic did not come up during the interviews and it was an open file interview...then most likely you did a fine job explaining your case in your personal statement and they did not need to get any more explanations from you.

The topic of this thread conjures of the image of someone sitting in an interview shaking, sweating, and craving some heroin.

Originally posted by ForensicPath
The topic of this thread conjures of the image of someone sitting in an interview shaking, sweating, and craving some heroin.

You mean they're not all like that? ;)

Well, I did highlight the fact that my addiction to smack would help me relate better to urban populations while scratching at the absess in my arm.:D