Should I try to get in on this research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Procyon

Space Cowboy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the other day, when I was walking through the chemistry department at my school, I noticed that one professor was asking for applications to help in her research over the summer... And she's actually going to be researching something that I find interesting, and that is very relevant to me on a personal level. (Stuff to do with anti-TNFalpha drugs and Crohn's disease.)

The thing is though, she's only offering the jobs to upperclassmen. But at the same time, I doubt another research opportunity that's this relevant to me personally will just come along again. Do you think it's worth it to ask if I can help her in her research? I mean, it's true that I don't have a lot of lab experience, but I doubt any other researcher she will consider hiring has Crohn's disease, or has taken anti-TNF drugs themselves. So I'll have more background knowledge on what she's studying than others, I'd imagine. And I suppose that at the very least, if she feels uncomfortable letting me participate in the actual lab stuff, I can always ask her to let me do paper work... Oh, and I live locally/commute to school, which is probably a plus in my favor too.

So I guess my questions are these: Should I bother trying to ask if she'd consider hiring me despite my lack of experience, and would it be obnoxious of me, as an underclassman, to ask to be considered for a job that she originally intended to be for upperclassmen?

Members don't see this ad.

if its something your interested in, and you seem like you are, why not ask? you dont have anything to lose

Yes, ask! I've seen it happen that underclassmen were allowed to participate due to special interest, expressed enthusiasm, willingness to work hard, etc. When you talk with her, bring your CV and transcript, and read the last two papers she''s published in that area. Bring copies to your "interview" and have questions. With all the above, I'm not sure you even have to mention your personal situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the other day, when I was walking through the chemistry department at my school, I noticed that one professor was asking for applications to help in her research over the summer... And she's actually going to be researching something that I find interesting, and that is very relevant to me on a personal level. (Stuff to do with anti-TNFalpha drugs and Crohn's disease.)

The thing is though, she's only offering the jobs to upperclassmen. But at the same time, I doubt another research opportunity that's this relevant to me personally will just come along again. Do you think it's worth it to ask if I can help her in her research? I mean, it's true that I don't have a lot of lab experience, but I doubt any other researcher she will consider hiring has Crohn's disease, or has taken anti-TNF drugs themselves. So I'll have more background knowledge on what she's studying than others, I'd imagine. And I suppose that at the very least, if she feels uncomfortable letting me participate in the actual lab stuff, I can always ask her to let me do paper work... Oh, and I live locally/commute to school, which is probably a plus in my favor too.

So I guess my questions are these: Should I bother trying to ask if she'd consider hiring me despite my lack of experience, and would it be obnoxious of me, as an underclassman, to ask to be considered for a job that she originally intended to be for upperclassmen?

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do right?

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm definitely gonna see what I can do to get involved in this when I go back to school...I'll let you know how it goes. :)

whatsssss up procyon! procyon, JUMP ON IT, JUMP ON IT, JUMP ON IT!