Should I update to adcom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MisterFutu

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my primary app I mentioned that I had a research publication that is in review. All my secondaries are sent out already, however there is this one school that I have been eyeing and hoping to get into. I recently found out that research publication went from review to published. Should I even update because it might sound redundant? Or should I print out the manuscript and hand it out to the adcom when I get an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

It will not hurt to update schools with this. Utility may be limited, but of the things to update schools about, this is definitely one of them.

And congratulations on the publication.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Mimelim!

Quick questions, do you know of a way to update all the schools that I sent out secondaries too? If it does require tedious emailing, should I only update the schools that I am interested in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Mimelim!

Quick questions, do you know of a way to update all the schools that I sent out secondaries too? If it does require tedious emailing, should I only update the schools that I am interested in?

I don't know how to contact schools other than via e-mail. I would template an e-mail and send it to every school you applied to.

If it does require tedious emailing, should I only update the schools that I am interested in?

Did you pay to apply to schools that you weren't interested in?

Did you pay to apply to schools that you weren't interested in?

Sorry for the confusion. On a degree scale of 360, with 360 being the highest, there were some schools that I was out of range or not as interested, but most schools were above a 100 degrees and all schools were above 0 degrees.

Do you think that the wiley old Dean will come running in "Dammit @Goro , this kid was just published! Lets get him/her in ASAP for an interview?"

Usually I think of it as a:

*update e-mail is read by dean/adcom*
"Who was this guy again and why aren't we interviewing them?"
*go over their application briefly to remind who they are*
"Oh ya, they we liked them, but they were borderline, lets invite them for the next interview day."

So, it is only helpful if a) the update e-mail makes the dean/adcom want to re-read your application and b) if your application was actually borderline. ie. most of the time it makes zero difference. But, for a fraction of the applicants it gets their application relooked at, which is all you can really ask for.

Reactions: 2 users
My learned colleague kills me!
:lol:

The right, honorable vascular @mimelin is of course correct. I was just retorting words my esteemed colleague from west of St. Louis by way of Brooklyn, @Goro, whom, on many occasions in the past, has used such similar words. And now Mr. Speaker, I yield the floor to partake of some libation in cloak room