Physical Therapy Should I wait to be removed from the wait-list at my top choice DPT School?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi and thank you in advance for reading/answering my question! I applied to several DPT programs this cycle 2018-2019. My stats are pretty average (3.64 cGPA, 311 GRE +5.0 AW, 650+ observation hours in multiple settings) and tried to cast a wide net for programs I thought would fit these stats. Half of the programs I applied to were in-state (California) and half were out of state. I ended up getting an acceptance to NYMC and put down a deposit in October. I really like the program and it seems like a good fit for me, but the thought of moving across the country is daunting. Plus, the program is not cheap (about 100K for tuition alone).

In January, I found out I was wait-listed for my top choice, CSUN. I started at #134, but as of last week I am #77. . Not sure if this movement is due to people dropping out of the wait-list or being accepted. CSUN is less expensive by about 20K than NYMC and I would be able to live at home.

I know the general advice for DPT is to chose the cheapest program. The problem I have is that NYMC starts in June and CSUN starts in August. I spoke with a student in the program who got an acceptance at a similar starting wait-list position, and she said the best chance I have at being pulled from the wait-list is after the deadline to submit the supplemental application on May 30th.

Should I take the chance that I'll be accepted off the wait-list at CSUN or should I continue making arrangements to start at NYMC in the summer?
You're going to have to make that choice. If NYMC starts earlier than CSUN, then the moment you matriculate at NYMC, you will need to tell CSUN that you are no longer available for them and should be taken off their waiting list. So I guess you ought to tell CSUN about your situation. There's no guarantee that you will jump the line, but they need to know that this may happen not just to you but for a whole lot of other students that are on their waiting list.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.