Should I wait to go back to do pre reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gunito

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in may with BS in psych a gpa of 2.32 and a BCMP of 1.74. I decided that i wanted to go to med school because i want to learn more about the brain and neurology seems to match my interest more so then neuropsychology. Im 23 and it seems that most non trads have a decent amount of time between when they graduated and returned back to school. Should i wait to go back to take time to "grow and mature" or will it really hurt me that much to go back less than a year of finishing. I consider my passion to be understanding the brain and behavior. Im more than ready to go back and have a burning desire to succeed. Im preparing already by reviewing bio and chem basics.

Members don't see this ad.

The adcoms don't have a quota to fill with non-trads.

It's not like you must make sure you take time off to qualify as a non-trad applicants. Adcoms would not be concerned with that.

Your GPA however, isn't very competitive, and whether you decide to apply right away, or wait some time to apply, that should be what you focus your efforts on, since that and your MCAT will be what determines your ability of being accepted.

I graduated in may with BS in psych a gpa of 2.32 and a BCMP of 1.74. I decided that i wanted to go to med school because i want to learn more about the brain and neurology seems to match my interest more so then neuropsychology. Im 23 and it seems that most non trads have a decent amount of time between when they graduated and returned back to school. Should i wait to go back to take time to "grow and mature" or will it really hurt me that much to go back less than a year of finishing. I consider my passion to be understanding the brain and behavior. Im more than ready to go back and have a burning desire to succeed. Im preparing already by reviewing bio and chem basics.

The time delay would help explain that you only "later" realized that you wanted to do med school but already had bad grades, and so started on your journey to improving your GPA (aka more classes, a second bachelor's, or a masters program). If you were to start taking classes now, it would be harder to explain the poor undergrad GPA, as they would assume you wanted to medicine all along and should have performed better. However, the impact of this is very minimal in my opinion. If you enroll in some program and get straight A's, your chances of getting accepted become good, regardless of this were to occur in the next 2 years or 10 years. So, get to work!

Members don't see this ad :)

When you really know what you want and are willing to do what it takes- Seriously, what are you waiting for? You don't get a certificate for being a mature grown up by waiting for some mystical magical blessing to come upon you. Growing up and maturing is a life long process. Making a decision and following through with it is actually a positive sign of maturity.

On the other hand, don't just brush off your feeling of hesitancy. Get to the bottom of why you feel you should wait. I'm willing to bet there is more to it. That's what you need to identify and address.

Another big thing to consider is that it isn't easy to pick up your old chem, math, physics etc. texts after ____ (number of years). The more recent that education is, the easier it will be to keep going. I'm in that position now, trying to reaquaint myself with a subject that I used to be very confident in. Wow, do I wish I hadn't left such a gap.

The adcoms don't have a quota to fill with non-trads.

It's not like you must make sure you take time off to qualify as a non-trad applicants. Adcoms would not be concerned with that.

Your GPA however, isn't very competitive, and whether you decide to apply right away, or wait some time to apply, that should be what you focus your efforts on, since that and your MCAT will be what determines your ability of being accepted.

I know it isn't. I'm planning on getting a second bachelors in biology, taking the MCAT after I complete the re reqs and then hopefully a SMP, if necessary .

The time delay would help explain that you only "later" realized that you wanted to do med school but already had bad grades, and so started on your journey to improving your GPA (aka more classes, a second bachelor's, or a masters program). If you were to start taking classes now, it would be harder to explain the poor undergrad GPA, as they would assume you wanted to medicine all along and should have performed better. However, the impact of this is very minimal in my opinion. If you enroll in some program and get straight A's, your chances of getting accepted become good, regardless of this were to occur in the next 2 years or 10 years. So, get to work!

Ok, that's what I was wondering. From reading post here and articles on the net, I got the idea that it's better to work a few years and then go back because it gives you a better story or something like that; although I havn't been in the real world long, I believe I know what opportunities I have, especially with a psych degree. I have wanted to work with the brain for the past year, and I have been trying to figure out the best way to go about doing it, and I found it. I also think I'm in a much better position, mentally and physically than I was when I first began school. Thanks for the advice and positive attitude! :thumbup:

When you really know what you want and are willing to do what it takes- Seriously, what are you waiting for? You don't get a certificate for being a mature grown up by waiting for some mystical magical blessing to come upon you. Growing up and maturing is a life long process. Making a decision and following through with it is actually a positive sign of maturity.

On the other hand, don't just brush off your feeling of hesitancy. Get to the bottom of why you feel you should wait. I'm willing to bet there is more to it. That's what you need to identify and address.

Another big thing to consider is that it isn't easy to pick up your old chem, math, physics etc. texts after ____ (number of years). The more recent that education is, the easier it will be to keep going. I'm in that position now, trying to reaquaint myself with a subject that I used to be very confident in. Wow, do I wish I hadn't left such a gap.
I'm registered and ready to go. I've been looking at biology and chem basics because I'm so ready to get this thing rolling. I've read a few post and articles about ADCOMS looking down on people who turn around and jump back into school. That was the only reason I was hesitant, but I never considered not going, just wanted to get a general consensus. I know I'll be successful, which is why I'm going full steam. I intend on going the DO route, so having my old grades replaced will really help. I've found some neurologist who are DOs which I can hopefully shadow.

I appreciate all the advice. It feels good to have people help show you the light. I'm looking forward to going to an advisor so they can laugh at me and give me more motivation. It's time for me to live up to my potential! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Woo hoo! Good for you! I think that the stress of applying has 99% of applicants in a frothing mess worrying about what adcoms look for. And yeah, it's definitely on my radar, and I'm not even there yet! To get a grip on reality though, there is a lot of contradictory anecdotal information out there. What can you do other than put forth your best effort and present yourself in a genuine way? Trying to create a contrived "you product" at the expense of some common sense will only put a bullet in your foot.

Just remind me of this when I get that mad hydrophoby look in my eye ;P