Funny question: I got into dental school and will be starting this coming Fall. I went to the dentist today for a routine cleaning and found out I have 2 cavities (the irony!) My question is should I go ahead and pay my dentist to get the cavities filled or should I wait to go to dental school and maybe they will be able to do it there? Thanks.
-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Should I wait?
Started by CabbageKid
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Lol I saw the title of this and was about to complain that people need to stop posting "should I wait or submit now?" threads. I think it'd probably be cheaper or maybe free if you wait but if the cavities hurt you should probably do it soon
Funny question: I got into dental school and will be starting this coming Fall. I went to the dentist today for a routine cleaning and found out I have 2 cavities (the irony!) My question is should I go ahead and pay my dentist to get the cavities filled or should I wait to go to dental school and maybe they will be able to do it there? Thanks.
Ask your dentist about the severity of the cavity (E1,2,3 or into dentin)? If the decay is into the dentin, it usually progresses much faster than if its in the enamel, and you don't want to risk having to get a root canal and crown. If the decay is in the enamel, then oftentimes we are taught that (if it is a shallow lesion) it can be remineralized through preventative measures (PRRs, prescription level fluoride varnish, sealants, etc etc). So the answer to your question is: it depends, lol! Hope this helps.
F
fogorvostan
I straight up asked my dentist if I could put something off until August. He said no to the filling but yes to the cleaning. He then paraded me around the clinic and told everyone I was going to dental school.
Then one of the dental assistants told me he got rejected from everywhere he applied and was upset that I got in and he didn't.
Weird appointment overall.
Then one of the dental assistants told me he got rejected from everywhere he applied and was upset that I got in and he didn't.
Weird appointment overall.
I'm sure it had nothing to do with any interviews he may have gone on considering his superb conversation skills.Then one of the dental assistants told me he got rejected from everywhere he applied and was upset that I got in and he didn't.
Funny question: I got into dental school and will be starting this coming Fall. I went to the dentist today for a routine cleaning and found out I have 2 cavities (the irony!) My question is should I go ahead and pay my dentist to get the cavities filled or should I wait to go to dental school and maybe they will be able to do it there? Thanks.
Would you be completely responsible for the cost of the fillings that your dentist is doing, or is insurance picking up the bulk of the cost?
You say "maybe they will be able to do it there?"- have you checked with the dental school and seen the fee schedule/gotten a price estimate?
Personally, if insurance is picking up the vast majority of the cost, I would get it filled immediately....why sacrifice more healthy tooth structure to save a few dollars?
F
fogorvostan
Definitely recommend what @Incis0r suggests. Ask some current students what options you have as a student. You may also want to get it done now just so that you don't have to worry about it. I don't know about you, but I would rather go when I have more free time than worry about scheduling an appointment around examsWould you be completely responsible for the cost of the fillings that your dentist is doing, or is insurance picking up the bulk of the cost?
You say "maybe they will be able to do it there?"- have you checked with the dental school and seen the fee schedule/gotten a price estimate?
Personally, if insurance is picking up the vast majority of the cost, I would get it filled immediately....why sacrifice more healthy tooth structure to save a few dollars?