Should I withdraw my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my application three weeks ago but I took classes overseas and I was hoping that AACOMAS would give me an exemption for the transcript of classes I toook overseas since these classes appear in my college transcript here. AACOMAS wrote me yesterday to let me know they wont process my application until I send the transcript. The country that I took classes is a third world country; therefore, it is hard for me to get that transcript...They told me I would have to come to get it personally, which will cost me about a $1,000 in traveling fees etc... I am planning to travel there in two weeks and It would be mid October by the time I get that trancript evaluated and send it to AACOMAS. I took the mcat on 9/11 and I am not even sure if I did well on it... Should I withdraw my application for this year since it is very late?

Members don't see this ad.

Honey, what are your stats without your MCAT?

First, do you know aacomas will accept credits from this institution and calculate them into your gpa?

Think of the time period you are looking at. You have to get the transcript in 2 weeks and submit ASAP. Then it could take 4-6 weeks before you get processed by aacomas. By the time this is processed you should have every secondary application pre-written. then you send it in to the schools. You can prob have everything in by mid-november the earliest.

So you will be submitting pretttty late in the cycle. What are your stats like? If you are a mediocre candidate I would say just wait a year and give yourself the best chance possible. You can build ec's and even take more classes if needed. 1 extra year is nothing considering you are going to practice medicine your whole life, potentially.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honey, what are your stats without your MCAT?
3.2 cGPA...3.36 sGPA.....120 hours volunteer....50 hours shadowing.....7+ years working in healthcare as a RN...(URM-AA) Dont know how much that help tough.

Last edited:
First, do you know aacomas will accept credits from this institution and calculate them into your gpa?

Think of the time period you are looking at. You have to get the transcript in 2 weeks and submit ASAP. Then it could take 4-6 weeks before you get processed by aacomas. By the time this is processed you should have every secondary application pre-written. then you send it in to the schools. You can prob have everything in by mid-november the earliest.

So you will be submitting pretttty late in the cycle. What are your stats like? If you are a mediocre candidate I would say just wait a year and give yourself the best chance possible. You can build ec's and even take more classes if needed. 1 extra year is nothing considering you are going to practice medicine your whole life, potentially.

I dont think they will accept these credits since that school is not part of their accredited school list. One extra year might not be a big deal but I am in my mid 30s.

Last edited:
3.2 cGPA...3.36 sGPA.....120 hours volunteer....50 hours shadowing.....7+ years working in healthcare as a RN...(URM-AA) Dont know how much that help tough.

this is a tough question because i think as long as you have a 23-24 on the mcat you would of had a really good chance had you applied early, but you're really pushing it on being late. If you have the money id say apply, if moneys an issue you may want to wait. just my opinion though.

You have to get the transcript yourself? AACOMAS won't accept one submitted from you

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

this is a tough question because i think as long as you have a 23-24 on the mcat you would of had a really good chance had you applied early, but you're really pushing it on being late. If you have the money id say apply, if moneys an issue you may want to wait. just my opinion though.
Money is not an issue....

Just give me the money instead. You're wasting it anyway. Might as well give it to me who actually needs it.

OK....I will get the transcript and apply
I'm not entirely kidding, but why would you in your right mind give free money to accomas and a few other schools that will simply reject you? It's such a waste. Give it to charity. There are people hungry out there and they are not med school admission staff.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP is AA and has a wealth of clinical experience as a nontrad that most applicants dont even dream of having, correct me if im wrong. The only negative factor here is applying late, but you still have a chance. If you dont get in, thats prob the only reason why. Unless you do completely awful on the mcat, apply. If moneys not an issue, why wouldnt you? Let triage feed the hungry, you go become a doctor.

OP is AA and has a wealth of clinical experience as a nontrad that most applicants dont even dream of having, correct me if im wrong. The only negative factor here is applying late, but you still have a chance. If you dont get in, thats prob the only reason why. Unless you do completely awful on the mcat, apply. If moneys not an issue, why wouldnt you? Let triage feed the hungry, you go become a doctor.
Thanks... I will apply to only 7 schools... I will "prewrite" my secondaries.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely kidding, but why would you in your right mind give free money to accomas and a few other schools that will simply reject you? It's such a waste. Give it to charity. There are people hungry out there and they are not med school admission staff.
I am throwing a hail mary...You never know...My friend sent her primary last year at the end of September and she declined multiple interviews after having 4 accceptances (DO/MD) by the end of february...if I dont get in, I will beef up my application and reapply next year...I have to get the transcript regardless...Might as well travel to get it now and get that **** over with.

Last edited:
if money is not an issue, then go ahead and apply and the fact that you are a AA should really help you. good luck

I am throwing a hail mary...You never know...My friend sent her primary last year at the end of September and she declined multiple interviews after having 4 accceptances (DO/MD) by the end of february...if I dont get in, I will beef up my application and reapply next year...I have to get the transcript regardless...Might as well travel to get it now and get that **** over with.
Then why are you asking on the forum what to do? This is confusing to me. You already know it's a hail mary, sometimes happens and you have money.

Then why are you asking on the forum what to do? This is confusing to me. You already know it's a hail mary, sometimes happens and you have money.
Most people want have a second opinion when they are about to do something...It would be naive of me if I did not realize that my chances are substantially diminished because I am appyinbg very late in the cycle.

You have to get the transcript yourself? AACOMAS won't accept one submitted from you

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

You need to check into this temperature101. How will AACOMAS accept the transcripts if you bring them back yourself, or do you just have to be there in person and then the school will send it? If thats the case you should be good. You may even want to overnight them from the school, stay in the area until AACOMAS gets them, and then go home, just in case there's some kind of an issue with the transcripts in transit. I know how mail can be from a 3rd world country.

Also, to triagepremed, please chill a bit. I'm a nice guy so I say that with no animosity. SDN is a place for slightly neurotic pre-meds to voice their neuroticism from time to time. Let's just be patient with that. ;)

You need to check into this temperature101. How will AACOMAS accept the transcripts if you bring them back yourself, or do you just have to be there in person and then the school will send it? If thats the case you should be good. You may even want to overnight them from the school, stay in the area until AACOMAS gets them, and then go home, just in case there's some kind of an issue with the transcripts in transit. I know how mail can be from a 3rd world country.

Also, to triagepremed, please chill a bit. I'm a nice guy so I say that with no animosity. SDN is a place for slightly neurotic pre-meds to voice their neuroticism from time to time. Let's just be patient with that. ;)
I will check into that...From what I understand, I probably can bring it myself and just give it to to the company designated by AACOMAS to evaluate/translate it and then that company will directly sent it to AACOMAS...I will check with them again on monday so I can know how to proceed with the situation...This has been a very difficult situation. I called the school and they told me that I would have to have someone go to the school to make the transcript request and pay for it, and pick it up myself one week later when I dont have/or know anybody living in that country. I wanna be a physician so bad; therefore, I cant give up.

AACOMAS finally gave the transcript exemption last week after talking to the school. I wont have to spend that $1,000. THANKS TO THE LORD.