Should I work for a dentist..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yskim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am dealing with some issues of my own..
and I'd like to hear opinions about it.

So I work right now..doing some cancer research..
and making pretty good $$ (ok..come on, I need that)
I applied this year but I have no rec from a dentist. :eek:
I have like 5 letters from science profs & PIs..
But knowing how critical it is to get this piece of letter
I applied for an assisting position with a dentist
but they are literally gonna pay me like NOTHING (not even 1/3 of what im getting now)
Of course, at the end..becoming a dentist is my dream and all
but do I REALLY REALLY need this letter?
I am financially STRESSED, what should I do??

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to do both shadowing for the dentist and the research job?

I have shadowed dentists before..
but I always felt like they won't write me a letter or write me a crappy one because they didn't know me very well..
so I was gonna work FT as an assistant instead.
Should I just take this job and just..not pay my bills? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
You should ask the dentists you shadowed previously for the letter. What's the worst that can happen? There could be a chance the letter will turn out well.

Do you have any experience as a dental assistant or had training? You know you can't just apply and hope they train you on the job right?

i say try asking the dentist you shadowed before for the LOR. if he/she rejects, maybe you can go back and shadow a few more times and then ask if he/she will be comfortable writing you one then.

most dentists know exactly what you are going through and would be honored to help you out in any way possible, because some odd years ago, they needed letters too. so dont hesistate to ask him/her, just do it, like someone said in a previous post, the worst they can tell you is no. but in what state are they just letting you be a dental assistant with no certification? Washington state has laws against that...

so basically..a letter from a dentist is DEFINITELY critical?

most dentists know exactly what you are going through and would be honored to help you out in any way possible, because some odd years ago, they needed letters too. so dont hesistate to ask him/her, just do it, like someone said in a previous post, the worst they can tell you is no. but in what state are they just letting you be a dental assistant with no certification? Washington state has laws against that...

u dont' need a license to be a dental assistant (assumign that ur task are just assisting the dentist and others that don't require a license)..

however, if u do xrays (things that require license) then u can't do that a a dentist assistant.

so basically..a letter from a dentist is DEFINITELY critical?

it's s a requirement from a majority of the schools (2 from science professors, 1 from dentist)...

soime schools won't read ur file or consider it complete until u have all those in.

unless u have 10000000 dollars and 30's across the baord on ur dat..

I didn't see that requirement on any schools websites..that i applied to..like
NYU Buffalo Stony BU Temple UMDNJ