Should I write American DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vert

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Msg deleted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Msg deleted.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What's your GPA? Actually... I have no idea how schools look at the Canadian DAT. What is the average Canadian DAT score to get admitted to an American school?

If you think you are capable of writing the test and the ADA wants to hire you, then sure...by all means

"I wrote an exam" is a typical European phrase for "I took a test."

If you think you are capable of writing the test and the ADA wants to hire you, then sure...by all means

Hahaha that's funny.

On a serious note, like airsimon asked, how's your gpa? The 17 in chem most likely does not help your application. I think you should contact the schools you intend on applying to see what the think.

Good Luck and let's us know what they say. I'm sure there are more Canadians with the same question.

I was faced with a similar situation when I was sending out my applications. Here's what I told myself when deciding.....American schools accept the CDAT but prefer the american DAT. And since I was hell bent on getting into dental school whether it be in Canada or the States, I didn't want to leave any stone unturned. So i ended up taking the American DAT. I don't know if it helped me in getting interviews or not. I applied to 8 schools in the US and got 2 interviews. Still waiting for a decision since I interviewed just last week. I applied to just 1 Canadian school (UBC) and will be interviewing there sometime in Feb.

So the question is how far are you willing to go to get into dental school. If you're hell bent on doing everything possible, then I say take the American DAT. Others will tell you they got in with the Canadian DAT only which is absolutely legitimate. But again, its a question of how far you are willing to go. Hope all my rambling helps in some way. Best of luck!!!

Hmm, don't worry about it. Rewrite the CDAT in February (guess its a little late for that), or if you're applying for next cycle write the American one (you have a good 3 or so months).

All in all, I would say rewrite it if you're unhappy with those scores.

Hmm, don't worry about it. Rewrite the CDAT in February (guess its a little late for that), or if you're applying for next cycle write the American one (you have a good 3 or so months).

All in all, I would say rewrite it if you're unhappy with those scores.
It doesn't matter whether you take the Canadian or American one. I got into American schools with Canadian scores. As long as they're competitive, you're all good.

Msg deleted.

Last edited:
Your GPA is basically a 3.9-4.0 - you shouldn't have a problem getting interviews with that GPA. Are you applying for 2009 entry?

I didn't have a problem getting accepted with my Cdn DAT scores.

Msg deleted.

Last edited:
My only concern for your DAT scores is that some schools have an overall minimum that you must achieve, e.g., 17 across all categories. I'm not sure how much any of the schools consider your carving score, however.

Msg deleted.

Last edited:
Your GPA is basically a 3.9-4.0 - you shouldn't have a problem getting interviews with that GPA. Are you applying for 2009 entry?

I didn't have a problem getting accepted with my Cdn DAT scores.

That's a 4.0?! gosh... should have went to school in Canada. In the states those grades would be like a 3.3

Msg deleted.

Last edited:
Msg deleted.

Last edited:
Msg deleted.

Last edited:
from my understanding, American schools do not look at the carving mark on the Canadian DAT, and base their decision on your performance in the other sections

Thanks for your replies everyone!:thumbup:

first of all i don;t think this is true because i thought the same until my case interview. the interviewer told me that if it's on the transcript they look at it and if wrote the cdat then i'm expected to do well across the board.

second...what i always tell people is if u've studied already then u might as well write both of them. so if plan on writing the canadian again in feb i would look for a date near by for the american and write it too....only extra thing is the orgo which is probably the easiest from all the sciences. and the math is not too bad and a 16 will do just fine....
so best of luck man

Msg deleted.

Last edited:
well, I haven't looked to see how US schools convert percentages to GPA

but in Canada, my 81.1% translated to a 3.5 GPA, and my 88.5% translated to a 3.9.

I don't think American schools would be that different. It is still a percentile-based system. A 3.3 would be equivalent to about a 70%.

What the crap? Is it only my school that is a lot harder than the rest? I mean, I knew BYU was a great school, but a B at my school is 84-86% (which is a 3.0gpa). a B+ (87-89%) is a 3.3 on AADSAS.