Should I write to an Adcom I met with last year?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Green912, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Green912

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My question is about sending a letter to an admissions person I met with last year.

Last summer I met with a local Admissions Dean and expressed my desire to pursue Medical School. We talked for about an hour and he gave me advice on entering graduate school and how to generally approach my goal. I would say our meeting and his positive attitude were major reasons I'm applying today.

My question is would it be inappropriate and too scheming to send a letter saying "thanks for meeting with me last year...I'm a current applicant..." or would it be a resonable thing to do.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Scheming? Yes. Inappropriate? Probably not. :)

Will it make a difference? Probably not, because don't they have too much mail to read everything?

4. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd personally call him up, remind him of who you are and that you met, mention you're currently applying, and then ask a really good question (so as to seem like you had a really legitimate reason to call).

5. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Absolutely email him...

Dear______
    I wanted to thank you again for the time you took when meeting with me last summer. Your advice was helpful to me in my
    preparations for the application process to medical school. I have followed your advice and I wanted to let you know I have
    applied to your school for acceptance to the class of 2007. Thanks again.

You could list one of the main points he talked to you about so that you could jog his memory of your meeting. Any time you
    can get your name in front of the admissions people, can only be helpful to your application.

Good luck,
    Amy Beth

6. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Some schools have policies about contacting anyone outside of an assigned interviewer during the application process. I can't remember which ones, but it would probably be a good idea to find out before doing this.